Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Losing weight

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anybody got any tips? I'm not unhappy but I'd like to lose some for my health's sake as I'm pretty big... Oh and I also wanna be fitter.

I've tried cutting down, lost a great deal but now the weight is slowing down. And it's pissing me off... I walk everywhere, am usually on my feet in work and I eat healthy...

Maybe the beer is making me fat.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Anybody got any tips? I'm not unhappy but I'd like to lose some for my health's sake as I'm pretty big... Oh and I also wanna be fitter.

I've tried cutting down, lost a great deal but now the weight is slowing down. And it's pissing me off... I walk everywhere, am usually on my feet in work and I eat healthy...

It will slow down after a while as your body gets used to your diet and evens out. Other than eating healthy the only thing I can suggest other than jogging is running and exercising. Swimming helps a great deal.

I have lost inches off my thighs, bottom and stomach, in the space of a few weeks, through sensible eating (with some treats) and regular excercise. While i've been on the Easter holiday from uni i've gone to aerobics on a Monday, swimming on a Tuesday and every other day of the week i've gone to the gym, for at least an hour per day. I go to a council gymn so its pay as you go, instead of monthly/anual fees. Its either £3.10 per session (with a total leisure card) or £10 for 5 sessions. I've never felt so fit, thin and sexy in all my life!! And it need not be too expensive.
    and if the water's cold it burns more calories for your body to heat it up to a temperature where its useable!
    exercise more sounds like the key if your eating healthily!
    SBG
    satehen wrote:
    I have lost inches off my thighs, bottom and stomach, in the space of a few weeks, through sensible eating (with some treats) and regular excercise. While i've been on the Easter holiday from uni i've gone to aerobics on a Monday, swimming on a Tuesday and every other day of the week i've gone to the gym, for at least an hour per day. I go to a council gymn so its pay as you go, instead of monthly/anual fees. Its either £3.10 per session (with a total leisure card) or £10 for 5 sessions. I've never felt so fit, thin and sexy in all my life!! And it need not be too expensive.

hey thats great!!
    im a veggy n iv found therese not many good diets (as in ones u can enjoy doin) do u know of ne?

yes, i found out a little while ago that a pint of beer contains about 200kcals on average... so you need to lay off it a bit, if you are drinking lots of it.

your body will naturally try to stabalize itself... it's you body's way of conserving calories in order to survive. however, if you are continually using more calories than your are consuming... you will continue to loose weight. :yes:
    otter wrote:
    yes, i found out a little while ago that a pint of beer contains about 200kcals on average... so you need to lay off it a bit, if you are drinking lots of it.:
    :yes: Premium lager contains 295 calories per 500ml.
    Bitter is better at 160 cal per 500 ml.
    dry white wine is 120cal per 175ml glass. Sweet white wine is 172 cal per 175ml glass.

drinking lager is a sure fire way to gain weight or stop you from losing it. Each pint of lager contains more calories than a mars bar, and If you were going out eating several mars bars of an evening you wouldnt be on here asking why you werent losing weight.
    I can't afford the gym tho :crying:
    I can't afford the gym tho :crying:
    give up beer then.
    Mr. Brite has recently decided to take up smoking a hash pipe in the evenings now instead of his previous couple of cans of lager, in an attempt to lose a few pounds.
    there's always gonna be a point where u plateau. just keep on eating healthily and work through it
    just eat sensibly, do a bit more exercise than usual, even if it isnt exercise as such, but just being more busy, and cut down on the alcohol a bit

your body will work its way down to its natural size then :)

was my adivce to luby when she was eager to get fit, and it worked a charm :D
    give up beer then.
    Mr. Brite has recently decided to take up smoking a hash pipe in the evenings now instead of his previous couple of cans of lager, in an attempt to lose a few pounds.
    Well I can't smoke in the house.... But roll on uni :naughty:
    sweet_gal wrote:
    hey thats great!!
    im a veggy n iv found therese not many good diets (as in ones u can enjoy doin) do u know of ne?

I'm not a veggie, myself, but wherever possible i like to substitute meat with soya protein. Pretty much any regular meal can be substituted. Some ideas are chilli con carne, shepards pie or spaghetti bolognaise with Quorn Mince. Burgers can be replaced with Qorn/Couldron or Linda Mc Cartney burgers. Or meat sausages can be replaced by vege sausages, sausage rolls can be relaced with "sos rolls" (soya). You can use qourn pieces or tofu to make stir fries, noodle dishes like chow mein etc.. For sandwiches you can use Qourn slices. You can even enjoy a Sunday Roast with Qourn soya "meat". You can even buy vegetarian bacon, so if you want you could have a vegetarian fry up! There are so many ready meals available as well! Thats just if you like the taste of meat, but not the guilt. Of course there are loads of other options not containing meat substitute, such as vegetable curry, vegetable stir fry, jacket potatoes, salads etc..
    Try your local supermarket, or health food shop, i'm sure you'll find there are loads of tasty foods fo you to eat.
    All these foods are pretty much low in fat. Try grilling instead of frying as well.
    thanks 4 ya advice babe!!.. :yippe:
    im thinkin of goin on a diet u c..
    i became quite ill n lost weigt n now afta a year iv put on more weight..just to keep healhty fit n also slim down a bit..
    If you want a really good kick start to a diet seriously consider the Kelloggs diet. Its only two weeks long, but combined with some gentle exercise I lost 1/2 stone in that time. And the best thing is, it stayed off :D
    i was 15st4 and decided to slim, i drink 4+ pints of stella every day.i ate tuna salad and lots of chicken and now i am 11st7 in 6months.so beer didnt make a difference for me.
    bluebug73 wrote:
    i was 15st4 and decided to slim, i drink 4+ pints of stella every day.i ate tuna salad and lots of chicken and now i am 11st7 in 6months.so beer didnt make a difference for me.

You can only lose weight by consuming less calories than you're burning. So a pint of stella = 250 calories, just add it into your daily allowance and either reduce the number of calories you eat or exercise to burn more calories.

Guys 2000 calories a day, woman 1400 calories a day to lose 1-2lb a week. This is for "average" sized people.
    i find that the easiest way to diet is to go food shopping, and replace everything possible with a healthier option. Like swap white bread for wholemeal bread, coco-pops for meusli, fatty treats for dried fruit coated in yogourt *yum*
    Kath2003 wrote:
    You can only lose weight by consuming less calories than you're burning. So a pint of stella = 250 calories, just add it into your daily allowance and either reduce the number of calories you eat or exercise to burn more calories.

Guys 2000 calories a day, woman 1400 calories a day to lose 1-2lb a week. This is for "average" sized people.

well i lost weight ,thats what i did,it worked for me.i do have an active job though.
    you didn't say how much beer you were drinking, but i've seen the effect beer has on my friends at uni, half of them have grown a sizeable pot-belly......as has been said before your body will adapt after time to conserve as much energy as possible, so it's best to avoid a repetitive workout.......different combinations will work well to get rid of fat, as well as a variety of things like swimming, cycling, running, rowing, etc........if you really want to knacker yourself out try and set up a simple circuit routine e.g. crunches, push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, time yourself to see how many you can do of each in a minute, then try to improve on this but don't overdo it straight away or you'll probably do yourself an injury.......of course diet is just as important, raw and unprocessed is the way to go......