Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Are they allowed....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
:wave: hi

Ok ... this is a major issue.. its happening everywhere but today it happened with me.

im sure a lot of you are familiar with "Passbooks". Note books that teenaged girls pass notes back and forth to eachother in. Well if a nosy teacher decided to take the passbook away from the student, would it be legal to read it and share with the students in all of his classes? THEN show it to all his teacher friends..?

And then would it be legal for one of the "Teacher friends" to call the parents of the students?

And what if the student wasn't even doing anything with the notebook...what if the passbook wasnt open in anyway or in any use what so ever... would it be legal for him to just grab it out of her binder?

I would really just want to shoot that teacher in the face lol wouldnt you? :banghead:

What is your opinion or if you know for a fact that this is not legal then please tell me in here

kissme_softly39@hotmail.com

i would really love to hear from you
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Firstly you shouldnt have had a "Passbook" in class and no it is not illegal.

Can you not cope without talking to your pals for a couple of hours?
  • Options
    like is said i wasnt writing in it or reading it. It was just there in my binder.
  • Options
    What did it say?
  • Options
    "I would really just want to shoot that teacher in the face lol wouldnt you?"

Emmm.... no!

I think you should have not had it visible in your folder.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    I think you should have not had it visible in your folder.

i understand that it shouldnt have been visible but i wasnt even in his class and how is he to know that it wasnt a ordinary notebook filled with math notes?
  • Options
    Well what can you do.. I guess you will have to keep it hidden better next time
  • Options
    i still dont think thats legal :no:
  • Options
    In the schools I live near, the students are searched from time to time if a teacher suspects wrong doing.....I'm not sure if it's legal or not, but it happens. Plain and simple: you are in school to learn, you shouldn't have passbooks in class. Why not just talk to your friends between/after classes? You aren't just distracting yourself from learning but also your classmates.
  • Options
    might be morally wrong but it wont be illegal

and i dont know what all the fuss is about, if you have something that isnt supposed to be there, then thats your problem
  • Options
    Yes. It's wrong and yes it's illegal.

It's probably not wrong (legally) to read it out, but taking your property from you against your will is definitely illegal, no matter who does or where.

They can ring your parents any time they like, but they don't have any say over your stuff.

What is going to happen I do not know, because it's going to depend on the attitude of your parents and so on. More than likely it will wind up being something and nothing. Remember to forget abut it.
  • Options
    You really shouldn't post your email address on here, it is a public board and anyone can see it. I remember when i was a teen.. many moons ago and i used to write little notes in class, but we didn't have "pass books". I think the teacher acted appaulingly, but no i don't think it's illegal.
  • Options
    I'm not personally convinced that the teacher has the right to search you, or at least to force the issue anyway. They can certainly ask but if you refuse I'm not sure they can force it. They can of course then ask you to go home or expell you but I dont think they can actually force a search on you.

Oh, and what they hell is a 'passbook'?
  • Options
    is it an american thing?
  • Options
    I dont think its illegal.
    If anyone was caught passing notes in class at my school, the teacher would usually read the note out to everyone. Embarrassing - yes, Illegal- no. If its in your school folder , the teacher would have every right to assume it was school work, therefore reading it would be perfectly reasonable.
    Are you thinking of calling the police on your teacher for reading your `passbook`, because I can assure you, they would laugh at you.
  • Options
    There's special loopholes in the law concerning teachers and students for a variety of reasons. One being the data protection act - if you have a letter or e-mail, your teachers are allowed to read them, I assume this would include notebooks. It's for your protection, tbh. If it's just because it's a nosy teacher then that's that.

Teacher's are just trying to do a job. People writing notes, or with the potential to write notes, make their job more difficult, so they take it off you. They might even threaten or show it to other students, so perhaps the immense embarresment from who you kissed behind the bike sheds :p or some other such note will dissuade you from doing it again.
  • Options
    It's not illegal, but a teacher does need to have a good reason to confiscate something.

I would complain about it to the highest person you can, and kick up a stink, and get your parents to do so too. I would do it for my kid, but that's mostly because my opinion of teachers is somewhere around about the same as the scum on a duck pond.
  • Options
    like Kermit said, complain within your school to the principal or someone of similar standing. its not illegal for your teacher to take something off your desk with or without your permission. but you could argue it was morally and ethically wrong of him to do so - but thats about all.
    tbh though, i'd just let the issue drop since not uch could be done about it anyway. and your embarassment is just something you need to get over. :)