Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

life after uni.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
so i'm just curious, how has everyone else found life after uni? i had my last presentation on monday, and am very glad to have finished studying at last, but at the same time it's all i know, so am a bit apprehensive about all this work malarkey........i have found a pretty good temping job doing i.t. support for a large college (woohoo! :yippe: ), problem is i'm not sure i want to make a career out of it, i am dead bored of computers tbh..........but i'm gonna try save up some money so i can go travelling, that's about all i'm sure of.........

lifestyle wise it has been a huge shock to the system, i've never had a full time job and university is ill preparation for the real world, the nature of my job is quite demanding never mind the 9-5 grind, by comparison university was a doddle........i'm glad for a new challenge but i come home too tired to do much let alone jump on a treadmill, and i do miss the freedom.............early days yet and i'm sure i'll get used to it, but what has everyone else's experiences been like?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have no idea what I'm going to do when I have to venture into the "real" world after uni in a few years... :crazyeyes:

it's all a bit scary... Think I'll try and put it off for as long as possible :yes: :lol:
    apollo_69 wrote:
    so i'm just curious, how has everyone else found life after uni?

Dunno. I never left. :D Masters, PhD, and currently working for the university whilst finishing my thesis.

Join the real world? Feck orf! :D
    Its crap.

Basically its like student life, except you have more money, more bills, more work to do and less free time.
    So far, life after uni has been mixed. I was burned out after uni, so I took a break, and then I've been in a low-paid office temping job because I couldn't find owt else. On the other side, without the stress of uni life, my mental and physical health has never been better, and I feel the happiest I've ever been.

And I do start my first "proper" job on Monday, which is splendid.
    Kermit wrote:
    On the other side, without the stress of uni life, my mental and physical health has never been better, and I feel the happiest I've ever been.
    Surely falling in love with and marrying GWST helped as well? :)
    And I do start my first "proper" job on Monday, which is splendid.
    Congratulations! Just out of curiousity, what is this "proper" job?
    the first few months were pretty tough. jobhunting is never fun, and working 38 hours a week in a shitty temp job for the kind of wage i earned before i even went to uni was pretty uninspiring.

but now, one year on, i'm pretty happy. i got a proper job, which i love, i have money to do things, i don't have to live in a shitty student house, or eat crappy food, or put up with my housemates having loud sex all night, or singing outside my door.

growing up is kind of intimidating, but it's a lot more sedate than uni life. and i'm all about sedate.
    Ibex wrote:
    Dunno. I never left. :D Masters, PhD, and currently working for the university whilst finishing my thesis.

cool :) what subject is that all in?
    Well done, Kermit.
    Finished last Thursday at last! Three years at Uni is just about enough, though i'm sure i'm going to miss the afternoon spliffs with my mates whilst sat watching Neighbours.

At the moment I'm sorting out moving back to Derby, moving in with some mates and getting a job there while i decide what to do with my life.
    I finished uni 4 weeks ago but been working in a primary school but that ended friday. I'm moving back to manchester tomorrow, its scary to be going into the real world and also a bit depressing moving back into my parents house!But looking forward to not being at uni anymore, but a real job :nervous: :shocking:
    Replicant wrote:
    cool :) what subject is that all in?

History. :)

I exaggerate slightly about not working, since I'm currently working full time - although for the university as a researcher - and over the winter I was working full-time as a barman, trying to keep body and soul together after the PhD funding ran out in September.
    I dunno bout life after uni, but what bout uni life? i start lincoln uni in october, i can't wait! The only thing that is bothering me, is the money, not the fact im gonna b in debt, that doesn't bother me, just how im gonna juggle money and stuff coz i can't save and normally when i get my wages there gone in the same week! Anyone got any tips on how to make my money stretch??
    Set yourself a weekly budget and stick to it.
    well i'm a couple weeks in now, and things are a bit less scary and daunting........i'm lucky that everyone at work is pretty friendly, and they're taking it easy on me cos really i have no experience so am learning it all from scratch.......it's neither better or worse than studying really, just a natural progression.......i do like the fact i don't have to take the work home, with uni there was always some deadline to stress over, same with school and college really, no more thank god.........and sure i have less free time, but that means the time i do get to myself is a lot more precious, i don't want to waste it, god knows i've lost enough hours at uni........i do think i understand the world a lot better now that i am living it so to speak......for instance that annoying song that goes 'i can't wait for the weekend to begin'........sure i knew what it meant, but now i GET it....
    Ibex wrote:

Ditto

Just doing my MSc and have been accpeted on the PhD but have to get funding...........