Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

diff types of sick :S

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I've been given a formal verbal warning at work for having 16 days self certified off sick. I signed it to say that it was correct but my dad says that there are different types of sick and if you are signed off work with a doctors note its not self certified its medically certified. (15 of the 16 days were with docs note). Does anyone know if this true and if it is is there any way I can change the warning?

Phoenix

Comments

• Options
    yes, your dads right. If you have a doctors note, its not self certified. did you show your work the doctors note?
  • Options
    yes they've got them. I handed them in. Thing is it said i had 7 days to appeal but I only noticed the mistake after that 7 day period. What can I do? I'm supposed to be off sick next week (docs note) but I daren't take it cos I'll get in even more shit.

Phoenix
  • Options
  • Options
    Get in touch with your union (if you have one that is) different companys have different procedures

mines is '3 periods of sick within a year' wether its 3 days or 3 lots of 3 months, bit annoying seeing as ive had three days off sick this year (2 days and 1 day) and will get a warning if i have one more :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I would take it up with the HR dept and get them to remove the warning, as the doc has signed you off.
  • Options
    If you aren't going to ring ACAS and get this sorted out with professional help then there is nothing more to say, is there.

ACAS are the independent workers' rights and mediatory service, their website isacas.org.uk and their telephone number is 08457 47 47 47, open Mon-Fri 8am-6pm.

Either you can take professional advice and get your rights enforced, or you will continue to suffer this. If you are not prepared to stand up for yourself and seek professional advice then there is no point asking question after question on this message board.

I hate to sound rude, but that is how it is. Don't ask for advice if you are not going to act upon it.