Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Privacy Issues

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Grr i'm so annoyed with my mum at the mo first of all she walks into my room while i'm doing the dirty with my boyfriend doesn't even knock! and then today we was arguing about it and she said "it's my house i don't need to knock" surely i have some kind of right to privacy im fed up with it people just walk into my room without knocking and yet my mum seems to think it's ok, she basically said i won't get no privacy in this house until i move out.

Comments

• Options
    I do think you should be allowed privacy but howay if you know theres a chance that you are gonna be interupted then surely you would find somewhere else to do the bizz.
  • Options
    When your mums out, grab a screwdriver and put a lock on the inside of your door. That's possibly the only way to get some privacy.

My parents however, don't mind my locks :D My dad put them in for me, I didn't have to do any of the hard labour hehe. (I have one lock outside with a padlock, and a normal 'slidey' lock on the inside). It really does give one a sense of... freedom ;) hehe.

Ilora x
  • Options
    I agree with you when you talk about wanting your own privacy. I think your mum maybe does this because she wants to foster some kind of culture of openness in your house, but she doesn't seem to have considered a few things. You're growing up, you need space and inevitably problems like this come along. The other alternative is to have sex with your boyfriend somewhere other than at your house.
  • Options
    Well, it is her house.

I do have sympathy because I would hate to have a mother like that. Oh wait, I do. Ok, so my mother isn't nosy, but every so often when I complain about something she'll say 'well, it is my house after all, if you don't like it, bugger off somewhere else!'

I'm still here, so things can't be that bad. :chin:
  • Options
    Shes probably telling you its time to move out.
  • Options
    Shes probably telling you its time to move out.

Maybe

Thankfully for me, I don't have this problem. (Well, the exception being my sister, but we have to share a room...)
  • Options
    Haha, whenever any form of female life is in my room my mum stays downstairs and stays away at all costs. If its just my lad mates though, she knocks on.

Just in case though, with my bed being right next to my door, i stick a bar behind it and pull it out in front of the door so the door can't open as like a makeshift lock.
  • Options
    When your mums out, grab a screwdriver and put a lock on the inside of your door. That's possibly the only way to get some privacy.

This is terrible advice in my opinion. It is your mum's house, and to be honest I think that putting a lock on your door whilst your parents are out is a ridiculous thing to do. It would suggest to me no respect for her parents whatsoever, and in my opinion the parents could quite rightly be absolutely furious and take the locks off again.

The proper, adult, way of dealing would this would be to have a conversation about why you don't want your mum to barge in. Maybe use some psycology and suggest to her that, if she walks in unannounced, then she might see things that she doesn't really want to see. Putting locks on your door just says that you have a naff relationship with your parents that means that you can't talk things through.

If you can't just talk to your parents, then your choice is to either live with it, or move out.