Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Quarterlife Crisis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I’m a postgraduate journalism student in Glasgow, and I’m writing my final project on the Quarterlife Crisis. It’s a term that’s had more of an airing in America, but recently it’s been getting some coverage here.

A quarterlife crisis is characterised by anxiety, self-doubt and a sense of inferiority. Young people in their twenties find themselves craving much more than a secure salary and a good enough job – they want a career capable of satisfying their deep-seated talents and need for ongoing stimulation.

The quarterlife crisis is also typified by the sense that you can only find true happiness if you know what you want to be doing with your life.

While I’ve spoken to professionals and have numerous case studies, what I’m looking for are young people’s reactions to this. The project is purely academic for the moment, although there is a possibility that it would be published.

What I want to know is whether you’ve experienced similar feelings to those I’ve listed above. Is this a real phenomenon, and if so, why?

Or is it nothing more than a label, used as comfort blanket for the Jerry Springer generation?

Your thoughts and opinions would be welcomed and appreciated.

Any questions please contact me on - jo_macfarlane@yahoo.co.uk

Comments

• Options
    Has Jimbo had a crisis?

Looksee

My own view is that this is another nonsense name given to entirely normal emotions. Made up to keep people like you off the streets.
  • Options
    So do you think it doesn't warrant a name? When you call these emotions 'normal' do you think they've been present through the generations rather than being particular to this one?

I'm just interested in whether it's a valid explanation of what's really going on.

So, is it?
  • Options
    I think job security (or the ability to earn a living) has always been a concern. In fact, these days, it's probably never been harder to be unemployed.

But a lot of these theories are self-perpetuating. But publicising this particular one, you encourage people to doubt themselves and worry incessantly about their lives.

What's the ultimate purpose of this research?
  • Options
    It's for a postgraduate journalism final project. Basically, I've managed to get all the professionals and psychologists to have a say, and I've got numerous case studies - all young twentysomethings who've gone through some form of crisis - and i'm really just looking to broaden the debate. There's only so much accurate representation you can get by looking at a bunch of young people your age in your own city.

So any comments welcomed and appreciated. :)

Kentish, do you think that the 'self-perpetuating' nature of this has more to do with the culture we're living in (i.e. one which feels it necessary to blame a generic condition rather than a set of personal choices), or with human nature in general? Are we hypochondriacs to suggestion? :chin:
  • Options
    I know I'm not being very constructive - I'm too much of a cynic.

I just wonder what the point of defining this quarterlife crisis is. Even if there is such a phenomenon, wha should we do about it?

And yes, I do think it is cultural to deny personal responsibility.
  • Options
    Actually, I appreciate your cynicism. Too many of my responses have been along self-indulgent lines.

But you're either cynical, or perhaps too young.... ;)
  • Options
    I so think it does exsist - being at the right sort of age most of my friends seem to be suffering it from one degree to another

PM me if you want any info
    x
  • Options
    I'd just like to reiterate what I said in the other thread, that I think all too often people are looking to give a name to anything and everything! Shit happens, and far too many people go looking for a term, something they can cling on to so that they can avoid having to face up to Real Life.
  • Options
    redbobbyjo wrote:
    Actually, I appreciate your cynicism. Too many of my responses have been along self-indulgent lines.

But you're either cynical, or perhaps too young.... ;)
    I probably am a quarter way through my life expectancy. :p

I know what Wyetry is saying but I think people always have worries - that doesn't mean they need a name or associated therapy.

Be honest: you just want to sell books, am I right?