Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

spots or acne?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Self explanatory thread really, whats the difference between having spots and having acne? Obviously acne is worse, but at what point does it become acne?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I dont know the scientific answer to this but i think acne can be described as moderate to severe spots on your face/chest/back that appaear more inflames and vicouos and continue to occur over a long period of time.Where as spots are more isolated and dont occur partually often...
    Im not sure thats how i see it anyway im sure someone can give a much more detailed and accurate description of the differences!!!
    Acne is grim tho as i have suffered from it on and off for about 7 years :(
    I've always wondered this aswell. When i was about 13 i did have a face covered in spots, and them under the skin lumpy ones you have, but no one ever told me i had acne or anything, but my chin is now all scarred from when i used to pop them, or when they used to get inflamed.

Now i just get the randomly on my face sometimes if i'm unlucky, i would have hoped though, that at 19 i would of grown out of them completely.
    beans wrote:
    Now i just get the randomly on my face sometimes if i'm unlucky, i would have hoped though, that at 19 i would of grown out of them completely.
    Im also 19 and hoped i would have grown out of them by now to,but unfortunatly no avail..
    beans wrote:

exactly what i thought, i never got them as a teenager and now im 20 im getting them real bad. And i dont like it :(

the ones that are bothering me the most, are the big really sore ones under the skin. I dont squeeze my spots. but i am still left with scars

nothing works, i drink loads of water, wash with tea tree stuff, tried scrubs, everything
    You need to significantly alter your diet and you will notice a change, even by eating an onion a day you will notice a difference. However, you need more than that.
    sexpod wrote:
    You need to significantly alter your diet and you will notice a change, even by eating an onion a day you will notice a difference. However, you need more than that.
    my great grandad ate an onion a day

never had a cold in his life apparantly :yes:
    sexpod wrote:

i changed my diet alot and it had no effect. i went about a month of cutting out bad foods and eating loads of fresh fruit and vegetables and nuts and things every day alongside loads of water. And it didnt make the slightest bit of difference.
    a WHOLE onion a day helps??
    if it's worrying you go and see your gp, when i was getting spots on my back i went for a year wearing clothes that covered it up cos i was embarressed so i went to see the doc cos summers coming up and he said it was just mild acne and put me on dianette and it's healing up nicely

i think it becomes acne when you have an abnormally high amount of testosterone and so your sebaceus gland is over-active or something like that!
    Im also 19 and hoped i would have grown out of them by now to,but unfortunatly no avail..

Haha, I'll be 22 soon and I have a spot on my chin ;(
    beans wrote:

i grew out of my bad skin. at 23. don't give up yet :p
    I think in doctor terms acne describes any kind of spot, whether its mild or severe. I tried the GP for my acne but the antibi's just suppress it, now I go to a chinese herbal doctor and he puts treatments on my face and I have a ton of little herbal pills to take everyday but its really helped, but its a bit expensive, so I take my Dad with me :P