Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

make up - applying / buying question.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i don't think i've ever come in this forum before??! ... anyway ... i was wondering

how exactly do you learn how to apply make up???
and how do you decide which is right for your skin type???
and if you wanted to get really dolled-up, what make up would you actually buy???

(this is a serious question btw, as i personally have no idea and i'd like to learn to use it... but i can't ask anyone i know.) :blush:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    depends what you need it to do!

Do you want to cover up any spots or nasty bits? If yes u'll want a foundation, concealer and powder. My advice for this is less is better, and avoid orangey colours. Try a few out in the shop on your jawline and pick the nearest match.

As for eyes and lips and stuff, theres always websites that can help with this, for example this website

oh and this one
    thanks for those links blah. but :no: no i don't want it to cover any "nasty bits" or anything. i guess, i just want it to look more 'professional' but also, for nights out, and that sort of thing. is it easy enough to follow those instructions to the letter, from the websites??!
    Usually, at least with my friends, girls start with make-up by playing with their mom's, and that way "gain experience". My mom never wore make-up apart from lipstick when she went out, so I just began with a mascara. From there I bought some cheap dark eyeshadow in H&M and messed about with that.
    When I knew how to handle it, I bought lots and lots of eyeshadows from MAC (best brand ever) and never really wear anything else. My tip is to buy colors you like and mess about when you're home alone :)
    I know what I know basically from magazines, internet and I've got a book with tips.
    I started off with mum's hand-me-downs and stuff she didn't use. I then bought the basics like my own mascara, my own basic eyeshadow, basic eyeliner.

Nowadays I have my own routines and different makeup styles for different ocassions. When I'm bored I tend to tip my makeup bag out and have a play around, mixing colours/styles/mediums until I find something I like.

Ilora x
    I didn't wear make up or use any make up of my own till I was 16, and this came about when I started working on fragrance and cosmetics counters. If you'd like help, don't be afraid to go to a Debenhams or Boots and they can help you when it comes to applying foundation, the colours that will suit you, the type of foundation that you might feel most comfortable wearing in accordance with your skin type. You don't even have to buy anything from them, and some have samples you can experiment with at home. If you nice to Clinique peoples, some have mascara samples, lipstick samles etc...for you to try out.

You could go out for example, to superdrug, and I've even found a basic black Collection 2000 mascara was fine to wear normally and to experiment with. I played in safe with a not - too - dark - not - too - light purple or browny type eye shadow and applied that to the top lid, after a while I bought light glimmery shadows to put along the bottom eye line and a dab in the corner of my eye as I don't like to wear eyeliner - makes me look like I've been bopped in the eye, so I don't wear too dark a colours. General rules at work I'm encouraged to follow are - if you have large open eyes, light colours on your lids aren't encouraged, lighter colours give apparently make the eye seem more open. Lips, lighter colour don't emphasise the size, darker colours make lips appear bigger. You can apply lighter colours to the corner of your eye as if you apply a dark colour, looks like you've been bopped. This is rules used generally for when the consultants do makeovers. Just a few ideas :)
    I dont wear much makeup, foundation and eyeliner is mostly it. I dont think its attractive to wear a lot of makeup, at least not on me anyway.
    Here's another website, loads of advice here, and video clips and stuff. Obviously as it's L'oreal they're plugging their own products but there's plenty of useful information on there too.
    experience

*thinks what i looked like at 15* :yuck: