Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

School Leavers' Booster

I was meant to have this last year, but was too ill to have it. (Same with this year) Do I really need one?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    booster for what?
    kaffrin wrote:
    booster for what?

Not sure exactly. I asked the first aider what it was called and all she said was that it was called a school leavers' booster, which is givwn in Year 10.
    Diphtheria, tetanus & polio (DTP) probably. Usually given at school (why "school leavers' booster" I do not know).

How old are you and what have you had in the past?

The best thing to do is go to your GP surgery and ask them what you have had already and what you are due.
    Kentish wrote:
    Diphtheria, tetanus & polio (DTP) probably. Usually given at school (why "school leavers' booster" I do not know).

How old are you and what have you had in the past?

The best thing to do is go to your GP surgery and ask them what you have had already and what you are due.

Yeah, that's the one.

I'm 16. I did think about thinking going to the doctor, but at the tim I was totally clueless as to what it was called...
    I'm 16. I did think about thinking going to the doctor, but at the tim I was totally clueless as to what it was called...

Schools should do 'catch ups' for pupils who were absent the first time round. If there aren't any plans for this at your school then make an appointment with the practice nurse at your surgery (not the doctor). As Kentish said, it'll be the diphtheria, tetanus and polio booster.
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Schools should do 'catch ups' for pupils who were absent the first time round. If there aren't any plans for this at your school then make an appointment with the practice nurse at your surgery (not the doctor). As Kentish said, it'll be the diphtheria, tetanus and polio booster.

I did keep asking the school nurse to sort it out for me, but she never did.
    I'd ask again. I know when I was at school, the people who missed any injection got a letter home saying they hadn't had it and suggesting times and places where they could go to have it. The easiest thing though would be to pop along to your doctors, find out what it is you missed and get it done there.
    Kat_B wrote:
    I'd ask again. I know when I was at school, the people who missed any injection got a letter home saying they hadn't had it and suggesting times and places where they could go to have it. The easiest thing though would be to pop along to your doctors, find out what it is you missed and get it done there.

I did ask on the day when everyone else had them and got told that I needed to go to the doctor and sort it out. But I knew that even if I'd been given the letter and signed it, I couldn't have the injection because I had a cold and they don't let you have any injections in school if you're not well...
    Oh yeah, I meant a couple of weeks after the injections took place at school people got a letter home if they'd missed it or couldn't have it with suggestions of when/where to have it. So yeah.. go along to your doctors at some point cos im guessing you should get it done.