Home Health & Wellbeing
At The Mix, we want to make our services as helpful as we can. To do this, we’d love to ask you a few questions about you, your visit to The Mix and its impact. It should take only about 5-10 minutes to complete. Take this survey and get a chance at winning a £200 Amazon voucher​.
Come and join Under 16's Support Chat, open NOW from 6pm - 7:30pm! Over 16's welcome to support our younger members. Find us here

hiv question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok so this is puzzling me. HIV, how does that start, not from scratch i mean. Its more common in gay men isnt it, why is that? Does having anal sex without a condom create it(and if so is it sperm in the bum that gives it to the receiver or is it having your willy up a bum that gives it to the,erm, giver?). IS it germs from the bum? WOuld one of you have to have hiv to pass it between you or could you give it/catch it if neither of you had it too begin with? do you know what i mean here? If two virgin men had sex would they be at risk or is it, like most sti's, an infection from a chain??

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dianne1985 wrote:
    ok so this is puzzling me. HIV, how does that start, not from scratch i mean. Its more common in gay men isnt it, why is that? Does having anal sex without a condom create it(and if so is it sperm in the bum that gives it to the receiver or is it having your willy up a bum that gives it to the,erm, giver?). IS it germs from the bum? WOuld one of you have to have hiv to pass it between you or could you give it/catch it if neither of you had it too begin with? do you know what i mean here? If two virgin men had sex would they be at risk or is it, like most sti's, an infection from a chain??
    are you serious?
    hiv can be caught from contact with any infected bodily fluid - its as simple as that.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yes i'm serious but i dont think you understand me. Yes any INFECTED bodily fluid. So if two unifected virgin men had anal sex can it be created so to speak, either from the sperm in one of them, or from the bum of the other?!?!?!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dianne1985 wrote:
    yes i'm serious but i dont think you understand me. Yes any INFECTED bodily fluid. So if two unifected virgin men had anal sex can it be created so to speak, either from the sperm in one of them, or from the bum of the other?!?!?!

    no, because they are uninfected.

    you can't create a virus, you just pass it on.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dianne1985 wrote:
    yes i'm serious but i dont think you understand me. Yes any INFECTED bodily fluid. So if two unifected virgin men had anal sex can it be created so to speak, either from the sperm in one of them, or from the bum of the other?!?!?!
    No! it could not be created. wtf?!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kaffrin thanks, you answered my question a nice simple straightforward way!!! Otter whats with the attitude? I wasn't sure if HIV was something that as well as being a sexual/drug-use thing, was something that stems from having anal sex as it is always recommended that you 'use condoms to prevent chances of HIV' which makes me think that if you were uninfected there was still a chance of 'creating' it, so to speak. I know my question wasnt exactly straightforward, as i'm having difficulty explaining what i mean, but theres no need to speak to me like i'm some uneducated delinquent coz i dared to ask for something to be explained :rolleyes:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    alright sorry. but no it cannot be created at all.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Info from the Terrence Higgins Trust.

    HIV is largely passed on by heterosexual sex these days.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    otter wrote:
    alright sorry. but no it cannot be created at all.

    apology accepted :P

    thanks for replies people, it is all clear in my head now :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think the first case was a heterosexual woman anyway.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its a virus, so if youre not infected, you cant pass it on, but you can contract it if you have unprotected sex (of any kind) with someone who has it. The reason they say use condoms for all sex, is because you never can be 100% sure that your partner hasnt got it. Not everyone is faithful and not everyone tells the truth,and not all carriers of HIV know theyve even got it, so unless you KNOW you both dont have it, ie both been tested and not been with anyone else since the test, then dont risk it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it's not more common in the gay community to the best of my knowledge, you can pass it on even through oral sex....i heard the first case of it was through some dity bugger having sex with a monkey...can't confirm that though...

    ETA:you can live your whole live with HIV and be relatively healthy as long as you have the proper medication...i can't remember his name off hand but a prominent labour politician had HIV for 11 years and only came out a few months ago with the truth, no one had noticed so the idea of the dirty, scrawny HIV sufferer is an out dated one, well in the western world anyway...we have the proper medication...shame about africa though...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:

    ETA:you can live your whole live with HIV and be relatively healthy as long as you have the proper medication...i can't remember his name off hand but a prominent labour politician had HIV for 11 years and only came out a few months ago with the truth, no one had noticed so the idea of the dirty, scrawny HIV sufferer is an out dated one, well in the western world anyway...we have the proper medication...shame about africa though...
    Youre right, and there is a really common misconception that people who have HIV are going to somehow look distinguishable from everyone else - ie " do I LOOK like an aids carrier?" or "urgh theyre dirty, I might catch something"
    It sounds like a joke, but people with HIV look exactly the same as everyone else, and generally dont even show any symptoms of illness until AIDs actually sets in when the HIV is fairly advanced.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    it's not more common in the gay community to the best of my knowledge, you can pass it on even through oral sex....i heard the first case of it was through some dity bugger having sex with a monkey...can't confirm that though...

    ETA:you can live your whole live with HIV and be relatively healthy as long as you have the proper medication...i can't remember his name off hand but a prominent labour politician had HIV for 11 years and only came out a few months ago with the truth, no one had noticed so the idea of the dirty, scrawny HIV sufferer is an out dated one, well in the western world anyway...we have the proper medication...shame about africa though...

    You're right on the second point, the idea that HIV came from someone having sex with a monkey is pure speculation, it could have just as easily passed through a monkey biting someone.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    something that ive been wondering, not just about hiv, but also other sti's is - can you have sex with someone who has an sti and not catch it? like in the same way that if you kiss someone with a cold its not guaranteed you catch it?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Of course - just like food poisoning will only affect a certain proportion of those who eat the contaminated food. But it's not worth the risk, is it?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    You're right on the second point, the idea that HIV came from someone having sex with a monkey is pure speculation, it could have just as easily passed through a monkey biting someone.

    HIV as far as I can remember changed it's "form" from SIV (S being for Simian). A couple of amino acids here, a couple there and CD4+ T cells here we come. As for transmission from monkey to human - speculation. Just out of interest the chances of getting HIV from a blood transfusion in this country is about 1 in 14million. They still don't let gay/bisexual men donate blood do they but this is a little off subject.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just out of interest the chances of getting HIV from a blood transfusion in this country is about 1 in 14million. They still don't let gay/bisexual men donate blood do they but this is a little off subject.

    Yeah, but they cut loads of other people off the list for other reasons which seem just as odd. I dont think its because the blood service all hate gays.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No mate, neither do I. I suppose the need for a safe and reliable service overrides politics. The acupuncture and semi-permanent make up ones are perhaps a little far but who cares?
Sign In or Register to comment.