Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Help?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got fired from my job last week, meaning two out of three references would be bad (though one, Barracuda is false). I had an interview yesterday and it went quite well but it appears all the jobs I apply for want references, which is obviously a problem, as even though on my CV I have three references they seem to want references for all my employers. I'm not sure what to do now to get a job, and I need one fast because I'm pretty sure I can't get housing benefit as I'm in a privately rented flat. I thought about making it up as if I've never had a job but being 18 and only having GCSE's and no college AS/A levels it'd be hard to make anything up. I really don't know but my situation has rapidly gotten desperate. Is there anyone that can help?? :(

Comments

• Options
    What were you fired for?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    What were you fired for?

For making an outgoing call. It was a temporary contract and the bitch team leader didn't like me anyway.
  • Options
    i don't know if it helps but i always put my mum as a referee coz she is a manager and has a different name to me.
  • Options
    Don't use your team leaders for the referees, use the temping agencies themselves.

Other than that, use personal referees instead of employment ones. And as for the reason for leaving, state simply that it was a "temporary contract" and not permanent.
  • Options
    For making an outgoing call. It was a temporary contract and the bitch team leader didn't like me anyway.
    Can you still use your school?
  • Options
    The type of jobs you'll apply for will probably not check on referees. Do they actually ask for 3 referees?

Can you use an older friend or relative to make up a fictional reference. They just need to say a bit about you and your skills. Not a lie as such, just economical with the truth. Once you've got one decent reference, you're sorted.
  • Options
    You can still claim housing benefit for a privately rented place. They may not pay all of it if they think the rent is too much, and you will need to pay any shortfall yourself.