Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Queue For Gum Clinic

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, this is all relatively new to me. At least this whole having to visit the GUM Clinic. Basically I have decided to get tested for STDs. I feel fine, but I've recently got involved with someone and we both agreed to get tested before doing anything. So it's more of peace of mind.

Anyways, I went to my doctor today who referred me to the GUM Clinic at my Hospital. She give me the number to which I phone to make an appointment. I just got off the phone there hoping to get an appointment for as soon as basically then the woman told me, the earliest appointment she could get me 9am on 27th June :-/
That's exactly one month away. I mean, is that normal to have such a long queue?

I was expecting maybe having to late till late next week but not a month. Take it there is no way I can get it done sooner?

Comments

• Options
    I don't think so unless you ring another near by clinic in your area, and see if their waitng lists are shorter.
  • Options
    Is that normal to have to wait so long though? I'm looking at the moment, so far that is the closest one to me.
  • Options
    Yes, that's normal. When being tested for STDs including HIV you have to be counselled. They need to ask you why you want to be tested etc. The admin and actual appointment time is quite long. If you're having swabs too, rather than just blood tests then it'll be longer.

As you're a routine appointment you have to wait behind all the urgents referred from their GPs for more urgent testing.

Also, they see people to give them their results too, which results in longer waiting times.

People needing appointments:
    People like yourself who want testing for their own peace of mind
    People who are referred for testing by their GP
    People referred for treatment by their GP
    People wanting results of routine tests
    People being counselled and treated when their results are abnormal

If it's the only GUM clinic in your area then I'd imagine there are a lot of people wanting appointments. If you had a specific reason to need to be seen sooner (e.g. You've been told a former partner has an STD) then your doctor could get you a much sooner appointment.

Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    At my local GUM clinic there are certain times when you can go to the walk-in clinic- you don't need an appointment you just turn up. However, you're not guarenteed to be seen as a lot of people go. I'm not sure if that would be the case at yours too though, I guess they're all different.
  • Options
    That's pretty reasonable considering there's nothing wrong with you (i.e. no symptoms).
  • Options
    Hey, thanks for your replies.
    I just wasn't too sure if that was actually normal but now I know it is. Cheers for letting me know.

In this Gum Clinic they only take ya through appointments, so I can't just show up as I already checked that.

This is the closest one to me. There are others, but they are a bit of a distance from me and the opening hours are not as long as the one I got me appointment to, so I'm assuming this will be my best chance.

Well I do feel fine, and don't think I have anything, this is just a check up that me anf my boyfriend chose to do for peace of mind really.

But yeah cheers for all the information yas give me.

:)