Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

quitting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
have you ever quit a job without having another one to go to?

If you have why and did you have any regrets or reservations?

my job isnt doing my health any good but I got bills to pay.

Phoenix

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes. I quit Marks and Spencers in a highly unprofessional way.

I just walked out one night and left them a note saying I wouldn't be back because the way they treat their young members of staff is atrocious etc etc.

The thing was I needed money, but I still lived at home. My parents were none too pleased though.
    yeh, i worked at a post office and left in the december. in the january i started at tesco so it wasn't too bad! only went just over a month without work.
    I left a job, just decided to walk out because i had enough of being treated like shit. Didnt have regrets and i was out of work for a few months but so glad i walked out cause otherwise i wouldnt of had the guts.
    I think its easier to find another job while you are currently employed, I think in another of your threads you were saying how unhappy you were with your manager. If you really want to leave get your cv out to some agencys at least before you hand in your notice. You can always make up fake appointments for other job interviews.
    BumbleBee wrote:
    I just walked out one night and left them a note saying I wouldn't be back because the way they treat their young members of staff is atrocious etc etc.

:lol: I wish i had the balls to do that. Fair play too you!

Did they not follow it up, like ring you up etc, aren't you a bit nervous now about putting them down for a reference though?
    have you ever quit a job without having another one to go to?

If you have why and did you have any regrets or reservations?

my job isnt doing my health any good but I got bills to pay.

Phoenix

i have a mate who has just done that... and is much happier she has done it now... but she is trying to find work again.

however, its probably worthwhile me saying that, if you quit your job and don't have another one to go into and then you try to claim benefits / JSA - it could affect the amount you could recieve in financial terms.

if you are going to quit your job, you'd be better getting a sick note off your gp saying you are unfit for work and then quit... because then there is a proper reason behind your decision to leave. if you are still being bullied by your manager then you need to get an outside union or something involved, or make an official complaint; because that then could also be used as an appropriate reason for you leaving your job.

personally, i think you are making the right decision pheonix, and its quite a brave step to take... so well done you... but you could do with trying to make it as official as possible imo. rather than just quit. :thumb:
    Why is it adversely affecting your health? You could change that rather than the job.
    He took the piss and didn't pay me for 4 weeks. Kept saying next week, next week so I quit. Still didn't get a penny of him for AGES so I went to the CAB, sent him a little letter saying I'll take him to a tribunal if he doesn't pay me and when he did pay me it worked out as if he'd been paying me way under minimal wage. Never sawe another penny so I though fuck him I cannot be arsed.
    Bongbudda - its making me really stressed out to the extent where I'm not eating or sleeping. The thing is I can't change it because its the way I'm being treated that makes me feel that way.

I still dunno what to do :(
    i quit my job at the new year and have been bumming ariound since. finally ther money situation got a bit drastic so i started my new job last monday and its pretty cool :)
    Bongbudda - its making me really stressed out to the extent where I'm not eating or sleeping. The thing is I can't change it because its the way I'm being treated that makes me feel that way.

I still dunno what to do :(

Well you should be able to change that, and if you have to leave because of your working conditions then you have right to redress.

I'm not normally one who would advocate law suits and all that kind of business but if the management are clearly doing nothing to change the situation then its sometimes the best option.

If I were you I would attempt to talk to your manager about the situation, get it down in writing then if the situation doesnt improve and you have to leave then you can take this information to the CAB or at least to the job centre and say 'I had to leave'.