Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Teaching assisant and Classroom assistant

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
What's the difference, if any?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It could judst be two names for the same role. Though i do know that the government has plans to introduce the role of "higher teaching assistant", who will essentially take off the burden of the teacher. Although s/he won't be a qualified teacher and will not take whole classes. The wages will be higher than those of a classroom assistant, who basically is a skivvy, though will be no where near as high as a teachers. You want to earn £18,000 (starting wage) you've gotta go to uni.
  • Options
    Classroom assistant was the old term, before Labour stuck their 'political correctness' label on it and changed the terminology of the old role.
    Note that whilst a 'teaching assistant' is basically a skivvy, a completely different role is a 'learning support assistant' who aids in the teaching of pupils with learning difficulties and/or EBDs, both within the classroom and in a separate room, and they fall under the jurisdiction of the school SENCO rather than the deputy head.

Speaking of Labour and their name-changing, remember personal and social education? PSE? That became personal, health and social education, PHSE, and now i believe it's personal, health, social and moral education and citizenship.... PHSME and C. God, it's a load of bullshit to make a name 'relevant' whilst teaching the same fucking thing.... probably cost millions to distribute the new guidelines and paperwork.... twice.....
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    What's the difference, if any?

None. Classroom assistants are the old name really. Both do the same sort of jobs.

However, the jobs vary depending on what school you are in. What one teacher / school requires a TA to do, another doesn't.

EDIT: I also wouldn't call classroom assistants "skivvies" :|
  • Options
    I'm working as a teaching assistant at the moment for the Student Associates scheme level 2. We are not just skivvies, the burden on the teacher is eased, sure I do the odd bits of photocopying or marking, but I'm also involved in selecting resources for lessons, sitting with the special needs group to help them, this allows the teacher to give attention to the rest of the class. Other assistants in the school who are permanent staff play such a major role in the teaching of the children, particularly special needs, ICT and after school clubs.
  • Options
    I stick with the term TA:) It's also the term used by my gf's teaching books.

Pm sent your way *milky way*
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind becoming one how do you get into it?