Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cystitis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I did a quick search, but didn't actually find exactly what I was looking for..

If you have your urine tested with a multi-stick (I think that's what BumbleBee called it in a past thread), would cystitis show up or is cystitis more of a condition than an actual infection?

I had a urine test on Monday (testing for diabetes) and the nurse said to the doctor "nope all clear, no infection either" so does that mean I definitely haven't got cystitis either or would it not have tested for that?

I'm going back to the docs tomorrow for blood test results and I'm not sure whether to ask for another urine test to check for cystitis again or if that's pointless! I seem to have most of the symptoms but without the burning - which, from reading past threads, seems to be perfectly possible!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Multi-Stix check fora whole host of things, protein, blood, pH, and white blood cells. This is what would show up had you had an infection - and should if you had cystitis.

What exact symptons do you have?
    Basically, needing to go all the time (but not going much when I get there) and generally feeling unwell. Like I said before, there's no pain with it tho. Hence why I had the tests for diabetes.

It does have to be said that the sample they tested wasn't very much. I didn't take a sample with me and when they asked me to do one there and then I just couldn't - must be the first time in ages I haven't been able to go! That's why I was thinking of taking another sample tomorrow when I have to go back to get the blood test results just to check again.

Would the doctor just prescribe antibotics just to be on the safe side to see if they help?
    Ive had cystitis before and i had a lot of pain when i went to the loo... it doesnt take long to leave your system maybe a 2 or 3 days. and i just drank plenlty.

Not sure if you can not have pain... hope all turns out ok for you, and you find out whats the matter hun.

sarah xx
    Multi-sticks test for leukocytes in the urine. These are esentially white blood cells and are usually present in the urine when the body is trying to fight an infection linked with the urine.

When your urine sample is sent to the lab for analysis it is checked for a bacterial infection and as far as I am aware cystitis differs from a bacterial urine infection. There may be pus cells in your urine with cystitis but the lab attempts to grow cultures like coliform bacillus which are sensitive to specific anti-biotics. This will let the GP know wich anti-biotics to use in your treatment.

It is worth telling your doctor your symptoms. I've had many clear 'dipsticks' and seen many since working in a health centre, but that doesn't mean there isn't an infection... the infection may be of another sort.
    Thanks for that, BumbleBee. To be honest, I think I got a bit drawn in to thinking it was diabetes (had been reading too many website about it and such like!), that I didn't mention everything that was wrong. Last week, I was so so tired and fit to drop by 3pm everyday, going to the loo loads and getting lots of other smaller symptoms of hypo- and hyper-glaecemia (told you I'd been reading too much!). I've also lost over half a stone in about six weeks - I'm down to about 7st 11lbs now :(

I'll mention all the other syptoms tomorrow - that appointment was booked ages ago just for a pill check up - when I'm hoping my blood test results will be back too.
    Thanks for that, BumbleBee. To be honest, I think I got a bit drawn in to thinking it was diabetes (had been reading too many website about it and such like!), that I didn't mention everything that was wrong. Last week, I was so so tired and fit to drop by 3pm everyday, going to the loo loads and getting lots of other smaller symptoms of hypo- and hyper-glaecemia (told you I'd been reading too much!). I've also lost over half a stone in about six weeks - I'm down to about 7st 11lbs now :(

I'll mention all the other syptoms tomorrow - that appointment was booked ages ago just for a pill check up - when I'm hoping my blood test results will be back too.

Symptoms like those need to be looked into, so you're definately doing the right thing :)

The internet is great for informing people but sometimes it makes people worry without due cause. You wouldn't believe the number of people who convince themselves a sore throat is mumps / glandular fever.

Good luck. I hope you get some answers :)
    The blood tests were to test for full blood count, kidney functions, glucose and TFTs (thyroid). Sod's law they come up with nothing! :(
    BumbleBee wrote:
    The internet is great for informing people but sometimes it makes people worry without due cause.

:yes: So true!
    Just to conclude this topic..

Got the blood tests results and they're all clear for diabetes, anaemia or any kidney problem. Weird (in my docs words!) thing is that they show I have a borderline-in-need-of-treatment underactive thyroid - which is the complete opposite of what he was expecting! Therefore, I have to have more tests in a month's time! :( He won't start treating me for an underactive thyroid because he says the treatment will make me lose more weight and I've already lost way more than is healthy! Ah well.. will just have to wait and see.

On the subject of needing the loo a lot, he's put it down to anxiety!
    _Hermione_ wrote:
    Ive had cystitis before and i had a lot of pain when i went to the loo... it doesnt take long to leave your system maybe a 2 or 3 days. and i just drank plenlty.

It can be dangerous to "just drink lots of water" to cure cystitis. If left untreated, there is a possibility that the infection could spread to other parts of your system, making you extremely unwell and in a large amount of pain. :no:

However, drinking plenty of water IS a good way to reduce the symptoms of cystitis, and may prevent the infection from developing further causing you further discomfort. You should go to the doctors, have a urine test and get proper treatment.

You wouldn't leave an ear infection, would you?
    Kath2003 wrote:
    It can be dangerous to "just drink lots of water" to cure cystitis. If left untreated, there is a possibility that the infection could spread to other parts of your system, making you extremely unwell and in a large amount of pain. :no:

:yes:

It can get pretty nasty if it spreads to the kidneys, so it's best to nip it in the bud. I left cystitis once thinking it would go away if I drank lots, when I had my urine tested, the dipstick went off the mark for red blood cells and protein :S

Cranberry juice/extract can help prevent cystitis as it can stop the bacteria from sticking to the bladder wall