Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mouth Ulcers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been gettin them of late. Dunno why, what causes them. Their like a soreish red tender bit of skin with a while pimple type thing on it :yuck:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Many causes

Bonjela :thumb:
    Kentish wrote:
    Bonjela :thumb:
    I have to agree with you there, Bonjela is fab for them
    I dont like Bonjella, doesnt seem to work for me, just comes off.

Get a Q-tip, dip it in vingar and then put it on the ulcer, stings like a bastard but removes the ulcer quickly.
    bongbudda wrote:

My wisdom teeth were playing up a few weeks back, and I went and asked for some bonjella at the chemist, and they gave me some local anaesthetic stuff instead, called 'Liquid Anbesol', which they said you can use for mouth ulcers too. It's liquid rather than a gel type thing, and he said it's better at staying put than bonjella, and it must have been cos it worked even right at the back of my jaw. You can feel it working instantly, it really numbs the area that's sore.
    bongbudda wrote:

Get a Q-tip, dip it in vingar and then put it on the ulcer, stings like a bastard but removes the ulcer quickly.

I'll try an ear bud and vingar :D.
    my doctor told me to get adcortyl in orabase. you can get it over the counter cheaper than a prescription. tastes weird as hell, but it really works. i get monumental mouth ulcers, and it just stops the pain dead, whereas bonjela does chuff all.
    did you mean a mouth ulcer or a cold sore? an easy way of dealing with a mouth ulcer is to rub bicarbonate of soda and salt on them.
    i get mouth ulcers when i'm stressed...i've got 2 now (exam time :() you can use corsodyl mouthwash or another one called oraldene which isnt as effective and tastes like that pink stuff you wash your mouth out with :yuck:

i think im prone to them, i get them every month or so and they normally last about 2 weeks. my mam is prone too and see had 13 at one time once :shocking:
    I use just plain old salt water. Put a spoonful of it in a cup of water and then swish it round your mouth for about 30 seconds, gets rid of them overnight. Although it tastes ick i find it magical.
    Salty water or bonjela.
    Yer, I'm with the majority in recommending Bonjela. Although salt does wonders..apparently...although never had the guts to try it myself.
    For some reason this tends to disturb people when i tell them, but when i get a mouth ulcer i just chew it off. Once the initial pain has gone, its fine. Bonjela takes too long!
    I'm forever playing with them with my tongue and chewing them so they never heal.

Mum used to get me to put salt on them whether to get me to stop playing with them or make them heal quicker I don't know.

I get mine when I'm stressed but if you get yours in the same place it might be worth checking if any of your teeth have rough edges.

Phoenix
    Have you tried using rinstead pastilles?
    Tates wrote:
    they gave me some local anaesthetic stuff instead, called 'Liquid Anbesol'.......

:O that stuff is great, i remember using it when i was little. Bonjela does fuck all for me!
    I usually get them when I eat salt and vinegar or pickled onion crisps and can never get rid of them :( I'm gonna try some of the remedies next time.