Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

swollen legs and ankles

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well my bf is diabetic he also doesnt monitor his blood sugar levels properly and has only now started to inject properly, recently he's had swollen legs and feet and was admitted to hospital they done an ECG and it wasn't that and he was given some drug in case it was blood clots but it wasn't they also monitored his urine and found nothing. He was spose to have a kidney scan done but as they don't know when it will be they have discharged him and will take him back when he needs the scan. He got out of hospital yesterday and is back at work today while in hospital his legs went down but his feet didn't and now his legs have swelled again and he's getting really worried. Know one seems to know whats going on or whats causing it and i was just wondering if anyone here would have any idea? :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    have they said the oedema is because of the diabetes? Because I cant find any info linking the two. Kentish or panthro or go away will probly know.
    They ran the tests and took thre precautions because of his diabetes but they haven't said it's because he's diabetic. The hospital don't really seem to have a clue. I just hope it's nothing to do with his kidneys which is why everyone is worrying just until he has the kidney scan, i texted him earlier and he said he was feeling bit spacey and he's still at work.
    Well tell him to get home and put his feet up [literally].

GWST - macular oedema relates to the eye, not the legs.

I suppose he will have to wait until he gets his kidney scan.. is he on any 'water' tablets e.g. furosemide
    nope he's not been prescribed anything for the swelling or any kind of water tablets.
    With diabetes, there are problems particular with the blood vessels and especially those in the feet - but this is usually a chronic complication associated with uncontrolled hyperglycaemia. I am assuming he is young, you say he has only started to inject himself properly recently - how was his regimen before this?
    Er, yes, I know that.

Sorry, just incase you didnt know that. :D
    he was diagnosed aged 14 i think and hes 20 this year
    Could be anything. Could be a kidney thing but if they've dipsticked his urine and found nothing then I don't know what.

More importantly, he needs to start paying more attention to his diabetes. It's obviously a pain for him but he's got another 50 years to live with it and he could do a lot of damage to various parts of his body including (but not limited to) his kidneys and eyes.
    i don't know how io could get him to look after it properly he hates doing BMs and avoids them at all costs he has started to inject properly but sometimes he will forget
    i don't know how io could get him to look after it properly he hates doing BMs and avoids them at all costs he has started to inject properly but sometimes he will forget
    I think some people dont realise how serious insulin dependent diabetes actually is.
    I think some people dont realise how serious insulin dependent diabetes actually is.
    I agree.

He doesn't need to prick his finger all the time if he knows what his body is up to. But it is important that he takes control now, before it's too late. Just make sure he sees his GP/consultant regularly for his check up.