Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Classic civilisation help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
As much interest as I have found in Classics during the last couple of days (after not following for a year - my notes are appaling, basically conversation exchanges during class between a friend and I), I still have some great gaps in my knowledge.

Can anyone:

- In a few lines fill me in on the battle of Troy. I know nothing apart from the Troyan horse and shit, and I don't even know the context of that.
-The location of King Kroisos? Is he Greek, is he Barbarian? What the fuck is he????
- Tell me what Symposion ends with? We didn't cover Albiades speech and therefore I felt no need to read it as I won't be examinated in it, but they apparently will want me to explain what happens if I pick the Plato question.
-Tell me why Medea can't go back to her own home? And where the fuck did she come from?

Any help, just a few words with whatever anyone here knows of I'd appericiate dearly. I have read and read and read and read. And frankly I am not superwoman and therefore couldn't cover all :(

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Crikey it's been a while.

Was Google not helping? ;)
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Crikey it's been a while.

Was Google not helping? ;)

Nope. Takes too long to look through the junk there. Have tried.

Have gotten some help regarding Homer and Plato from LJ friends though.
    And found where it explains about Medea.
    Now it's just what "nationality" Kroisos has.

Oh and names and locations of meaningful temples.
  • Options
    You can't be arsed with google, didn't work all year, and want us to do your research for you?
    King Kroisos
    Symposium, plato and Alcibiades speech

Nothing particularly helpful on Medea best I could come up with

And I'm at a loss on temples, because I don't know what temples to really be looking for. I'd assume the temple at corinth, certainly the temple of athena in athens, the parthanon maybe?
  • Options
    Really good history of the Trojan war here.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You can't be arsed with google, didn't work all year, and want us to do your research for you?

If it wasn't clear enough then I did Google, but lost my patience as it wasn't relevant for what I was searching for.

Either way thanks for the links. Doesn't matter though.... I got 10 at my examination today :D
    And totally exceeded my own expectations and the teachers.
  • Options
    haven't you seen the movie : 'Troy' with brad pitt...
    worth a watch... (although may be not that helpful to your studies!) ;)
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    haven't you seen the movie : 'Troy' with brad pitt...
    worth a watch... (although may be not that helpful to your studies!) ;)

Nope. Everyone in my year went to see it with the Classics teachers but I couldn't make it.
    One of the guys said he'd lend it to me, but I didn't have time to pick it up and I wanted the story more to relate it to the Odysee rather than the story itself as we haven't read it.

Doesn't matter though. I got my grade :D