Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Revision Tips

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I thought I would share a revision tip I use with you all, simply because I taught it to a colleague the other week and she was amazed at how much it helps her.

It's best if you can get someone to revise with, if not, you can do it on your own...

Pick a topic to revise and make some short notes on the subject, perhaps on some notecards or a single sheet of A4.

Now teach what you know about the subject to someone else.

Use a flipchart / whiteboard if you have access to one.

Ask them questions to make sure they're listening!

Speak clearly and explain difficult concepts as best you can.

I know it may seem really simplistic but it does actually work. I've taught several of my friends all about welfare and welfare rights in the last week.

Anyone else got any revision tips?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :yes: you're right it does work. teaching does help becasue it gives you a firm grasp on how much you actually know about the topic. another way is to prepare a ppt presentation on a topic and then use it as a screensaver. (but i guess you need a photographic memory too.) :D
    hmm... that powerpoint thing's a pretty good idea.

my suggestion would be to do as much as possible, and dont leave till the last minute, which is very very easy to do, trust me!
    Replicant wrote:
    hmm... that powerpoint thing's a pretty good idea.
    :thumb:
    Why would anyone sit and watch a screensaver though? What a waste of electricity. :yeees:
    nah, you dont sit there and watch it, just make the screensaver come on after a minute of inactivity, so while you're sitting there staring blankly at the screen it comes on :yes:

as for the waste of electricity, my pc is on all day anyway, so it wont make much difference :)
    yeah! my pc is on all the time too.
    presumably, you'd sit and watch it when you wanted to revise?! ... or just having it on, provided you see whats on the screen a number of times ... it will get into your brain...
    i think it is a good way of revising anyway.
    no different really than recording your notes onto a dictation machine or other similar device and listening to them.
    only i have more of a photographic memory than an audio one... although both are good ways of revising imo... and it doesn't take as much energy to do becasue it is a rather pasive way of revising. :)
    Replicant wrote:
    as for the waste of electricity, my pc is on all day anyway, so it wont make much difference :)

:eek:
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    My favourite on my own revision technique was reading through my notes and condensing them down to bullet points. Then I would use a brainstormer diagram (yanno, title or something in middle and notes surrounding it).

Always seemed to work for me :)

However, what works for one person may not work for another. A friend used to just sit and read his textbook and that would work for him but would never work for me.

I also like the idea of "teaching" someone what you know. It is a good way to study with someone else.
    As I sit here writing this I am looking at some little bits of paper that I have put all around my computer monitor..they have important notes on and stuff. I have also put some notes on my bedroom door..so every time I exit/enter the room I can read some notes. I have also put some notes on the inside of my toilet door (not that I spend loadsa time in there...) but even in the spare minute you can learn stuff.

So my tip is to put notes around the house, in random places. E.g. by the kettle, in cupboards etc.
    BumbleBee wrote:
    :eek:

yeh I know, but only when I'm in, because if I'm in the house, I'm using my PC, or it's busy doing something.

obviously I dont leave it on if I'm not in the house, unless it's defragging or something :)
    I usually condense all my notes down into bullet points, type them up so they're visually attractive, and then write them out over and over again. Then write timed essays on them.

But then, I'm a left brained visual learner. :thumb:
    I just write bullet pointed notes from my main notes. Usually condensing the year down to about 10 double sided sheets of A4. I've got a fairly good photographic memory though so I just have to read my notes a couple of times and I know it all.

Some exams though that are more practical based I just do past papers for like the two I've got next week.

Plus I always have to teach one of my mates the stuff cos we do all the same modules but he hasn't turned up all year so I'm his revising buddy...or teacher of it all dependant on how you look at it.
    I feel that last min revision always works best for me :D
    Also important is to take a break!! Don't tire yourself out by doing hours and hours at a time otherwise you'll just get fucking bored of it.

I'm taking a break now from doing Soviet Economic Policy .... oh how fun :D
    I've never found teaching stuff to people works that well - if you don't know your subject properly you'll end up telling them it wrong :(
    re-write your notes, and do questions.
    revision!

right i find it helps me a lot if after every revision lesson in school i then read over the stuff iv learnt in class (usually break time or lunch). then that evening i read over it all again (i find it helps to re-write some of it too) then i read over it every day that week (so on mon there might be maths, then tue maths and french, then wed maths, french and R.E.....yes theres lots on fri, but you can do a bit on sat too- its worth it!) then after every month i read over all of the work iv revised each week. if you do a timetable its much easier, but this revision method is flawless!!!!! :thumb: