Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

bleeding between periods.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
just a quickie - i'm off to the doctor shortly for something else, but wondered if i should mention this.

i've been on the patch for 6 months, and before that was on the pill for 7 years, and the only time i bled in between periods was when i forgot a couple of pills, or was ill and the pill wasn't absorbed properly.

a couple of weeks ago i started bleeding for no apparent reason. it was only about a week after my last period, and i'd been using my patch normally. it's not very heavy, but it's more than just spotting, and 2 weeks later shows no sign of stopping. there's no pain (other than a few very mild twinges that feel just like normal period pain) but it worries me a bit cause it's not normal for me.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, mention it.
    :yes: I'd mention it, can't do any harm when ya already there and will put ya mind to rest.
    ok, so i did mention this to the doctor when i went, and she said that i was probably just because i run my patches together in 3s, and that sometimes that can cause spotting.

but it's still happening, and is beginning to worry me a little. and i get sudden rushes - a bit like flooding, but not as much volume, and a little more cramping.

i have an appointment with my rheumatologist a week today, but i don't know if it's a rheumy thing, or if i should go back to my GP?
    I'd go back to your doc.
    I think your doctor's summary was probably pretty sound, I know its not the same contraceptive method but the wife was bleeding non-stop for over a month after she had her IUS put in.

Do you have any medical notes for the patch you take, read them if you do and see what they say, or have a look for the patch name on NHS Direct's website. I'd say if you don't stop bleeding in another week then go back to the doctors, but not before.
    Kermit wrote:
    I think your doctor's summary was probably pretty sound, I know its not the same contraceptive method but the wife was bleeding non-stop for over a month after she had her IUS put in.

aye, but i've been on this method for 7 months now, and on the same hormones for years, with no problems at all, until last month. the first month i took the pill, when i was young, i bled for a month, but (graphic ming girly bit coming up) it was a whole different kind of colour, and consistency, the kind that i'm used to. and this new lot is very odd.

my doc suggested that maybe i'd been swapping my patches on the wrong day, and i wasn't sure she was wrong, so have been paying close attention this month, and i know i've been swapping them on the right days, and i've been taking my patch free weeks too, in case the thing she said about spotting (this isn't even spotting, but i went with it) being caused by running together packs was right, and that's made no difference either.

i've read the leaflet, and it says some spotting is normal, especially in the first few months, but heavy and/or prolonged bleeding ain't great. but how long is prolonged?
    If I were you, I'd pop along to your g.p if you're still worried. I haven't heard of irregular periods being particularly linked to rheumatological (is that even a word?!) type issues, but who knows.....I guess if your body is generally having a hard time that could affect your periods. I know that the meds I'm on for my RA can affect your periods, but I've only ever been told that in relation to the meds, and not the disease itself......

I don't know, if you're worried, and it sounds like you are, then I'd go and check it out again. Good luck x
    its a bit different as i havent been on contraceptive measures for that long at all but i have just started on the pill and my period wont go away...its more than the couple of days the literature that comes with it says and its definately more than is described as spotting. i hate periods at the best of times...its even worse having it continuously!
    kaffrin wrote:
    i've read the leaflet, and it says some spotting is normal, especially in the first few months, but heavy and/or prolonged bleeding ain't great. but how long is prolonged?

It definitely sounds like you need another opinion - even from the same GP now that you have more to go, or from another medical professional. It might be that this type of contraceptive just isn't suitable for you. :(

You could always try calling the fpa - the helpine is staffed by trained nurses so you'd get some pretty professional feedback instantly.

Web: www.fpa.org.uk
    Tel: 0845 310 1334

Hope you get it sorted soon.
    just been to the docs and he reckons it's caused by the corticosteriod jab wearing off, and playing hell with my hormones. gotta get the hospital to check my haemoglobin when they do their million and one blood tests on wednesday, and have an internal when the bleeding stops. can't wait :thumb: :(
    :( Poor you. Hope it all gets sorted soon, big hugs x