Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Council Tax..........

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i know students don't have to pay it, but i'm curious what other postgrads have done when they rent a house? this is the first year i can't claim student bonuses anymore, and i was wondering how would the government know where i live, to try and charge me council tax like? or is it something i'm supposed to declare.......i've found an ok house for next year but it's an all-student flat because of council tax rules, so what is your advice? ignore it and hope it goes away? i'm already fending the tv-man off with one arm......
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You should be on the electoral roll, which is a legal requirement. That's where the council get your details from.
    I've had to pay council tax for the past year. I'm receiving council tax benefit due to my employers cutting my hours, which helps and also get the 25% discount for being the only person eligible to pay in the house.
    As for advice... I'm too good sometimes! I couldn't live with trying to avoid it, it would have just stressed me out. and besides, I felt that I should be paying, everyone else has to.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    that makes sense, i'm pretty sure i'm registered at my parent's address, so they wont know where i'm living if i havent declared it anywhere will they? all my cards are registered to home address as well......hmm.

ETA: and how much on average is council tax for say 4-person flat in london?