Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Thrown out / discrimination

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Basicly a friend of mine I speak to sometimes is possibly get kicked out of school because she is Gay, it is a private christian school, and before anyone says anything it is also an american school but does anyone know if they can do it and your opinions on the matter?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hellfire wrote:
    Basicly a friend of mine I speak to sometimes is possibly get kicked out of school because she is Gay, it is a private christian school, and before anyone says anything it is also an american school but does anyone know if they can do it and your opinions on the matter?

If its a private school then i think they are allowed, but i'm not sure as discrimination in the workplace is illegal.

Opinion: It is a private christian school. Should be able to have who they want, however unfair they seem.
    only a few i meet through family or my gf,
    Although there is nothing in the law to protect gay's from being discriminated against as such, it is wrong and there really is no way of the school proving that she's gay. She needs to take it higher.
    minimi38 wrote:
    If its a private school then i think they are allowed, but i'm not sure as discrimination in the workplace is illegal.

Opinion: It is a private christian school. Should be able to have who they want, however unfair they seem.
    No, you wrong tbh. If this girl is a good student and does her work then they have no justification for kicking her out. It is discrimination and she has the right to education regarless of her sexual preferences
    Private school tbh. Can do what they like.
    No - as a private institution, they are only independent from Government legislation pertaining to Government schools. Trust me on this, I went to independent school.

Thus you can fix things like your holidays as you want and things like whether you have Saturday school or not (as I had to endure) but when it comes to laws outside the sphere of the Government schools legislation, they become just as accountable as any company or firm. If what you say is true, despite not being a lawyer, I'd say they've got a solid gold case for suing the arse off that school. If homosexuality is the only reason that school are kicking her out, they better find a hell of a lot of money very quickly.
    In america though, rules are probably different, and for all we know, she may have actually broken the rules. Being gay isn't a good reason, but sexual activity can result in getting chucked out for any student.
    But an American school is not like the American embassy. They may employ American teachers and take American students but as long as they are in the UK, they've gotta conform to the UK laws and we've got some pretty solid laws about discrimination and, as I said, as long as they're over here, Uncle Sam can't help them.

She may have broken the rules but from the info we've been given, it would seem that her only 'transgression' was her sexual preference.
    But an American school is not like the American embassy. They may employ American teachers and take American students but as long as they are in the UK, they've gotta conform to the UK laws and we've got some pretty solid laws about discrimination and, as I said, as long as they're over here, Uncle Sam can't help them.

She may have broken the rules but from the info we've been given, it would seem that her only 'transgression' was her sexual preference.

I thought she was in America not the UK :confused:
    Are they in the UK? We don't know anything about what she's done other than what hellfire has told us, and I wouldn't be surprised if something had been left out.
    shes an american, goes to North Cobb Christian school in GA (link bellow) with her girlfriend, both have been threatened with being expelled for there sexuality as its "against" catholic believes

http://www.ncchristian.org/
    I'm reasonably sure that the US has no law against discrimination on the basis of sexuality, we only had this law about 12 months ago.

So yes, as far as I know they can legally do it.
    Case closed then.
    I should point out I am not legally training in America and my legal judgement does not constitue any more than just mear speculation.

Any loss, damage, grief or discomfort you encounter is totally your own fault, not mine.
    Ok, well I guess it's up to them.

Still, that's pretty fucked up. Even for America.
    She should sue them.... Ally McBeal would probably take the case. ;)
    it might be morally wrong but looks like its not legally wrong
    MrG wrote:
    it might be morally wrong but looks like its not legally wrong
    Tbh I don't see why its even morally wrong.
    She attends a christian school. She should be expected to follow "rules". Don't like em find a non christian school.

OK I know its all bo ho for her, but it would be pretty easy for her to keep sexuality a secret from teachers if she so wished.

So though I know im gonna get flamed, I think its her own fault.
    the fact is its not like she is even sexual in school.. i could Possibly understand if she was.. due to a christian school BUT she keeps it all outside of school, so what i've just been told
    Hellfire wrote:
    the fact is its not like she is even sexual in school.. i could Possibly understand if she was.. due to a christian school BUT she keeps it all outside of school, so what i've just been told
    So the teachers used their sixth sense to find out that shes a lesbian? :rolleyes:
    Judge Judy would get mediaeval on their asses.
    No.. she doesn't hide she is lesbian, but she doesnt engage in in sexual activitys during school,
    It's essentially irrelevant whether or not she engages in homosexual acts whilst she is at school or not, as the school is clearly aware of the issue, otherwise they wouldn't be wanting to exclude her.

If it's a faith-based school and she is going against the teachings of that faith then I would expect them to want to remove her really.
    Hellfire wrote:
    No.. she doesn't hide she is lesbian, but she doesnt engage in in sexual activitys during school,
    Yes but unless she wears a t-shirt saying "YES I'M GAY" why would they assume she was in the fist place?
    right.. if you go to an private christian school, people heard you was gay i think it would be the talk of the school :|
    Hellfire wrote:

You say that as though she would engage in sexual activity if it wasnt a Christian school.
    Hellfire wrote:
    right.. if you go to an private christian school, people heard you was gay i think it would be the talk of the school :|
    Well I doubt very much teachers would kick someone out on a school rumour. So thereofore she probably admitted to relationships with other girls/admitted to teacher so we're back to my origianl point: she brought it on herself by making it known to teachers that she was gay.
    I think hellfire is chatting shit, tbh. he loves a crisis, he does.

But anyway.

Without being nasty, why the chuff are you asking for legal advice about the USA on a British website? And why is your "gf" not taking legal advice anyway?
    WTF this is nothing to do with my GF
    Seriously. I would sue them for breach of my human rights for the loos of access to a good education. I go to a private school, and there are a couple of gays in my year. Mine is also a loosely Christian school, and if they kicked out a gay person they would have a couple of hefty court cases on their hands, which they would no doubt lose.