Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Anyone go there or know anything at all about it? Or the area? Im going to an open day in a couple of weeks but what I've read so far hasn't been that postive... Obviously I know what some people think and what I think will be completely different. But any thoughts/views on it would be much apareciated!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't go.
    Any particular reasons why?!
    I don't know anything about the uni, but I know a lot about the town seeing as I've lived here my entire life..:(

If your wanting a really busy place then this isn't it. Like there are a bunch of bars and stuff, but not that many..and the amount of chavs around here is ridiculous. However, on the upside, London is only a 45 minute train ride away, so if your after something interesting to do then thats cool...

For more on wycombe, told by real people, http://www.knowhere.co.uk/3161_goingout.html

Click on the options down the side, like "Best and Worst" to find out more.
    Thank you :)
    I didn't realise London was so close so I guess that's a good thing. Although, does it cost a lot on the train to get there?
    The thing is, the course at the Uni sounds perfect but from what I've read there doesn't seem to be a great deal to do in the area and the Uni isn't that great. So I'm trying to decide if the course will make up for all of that. Or not!
    If you think uni is all about your course, you're mistake. The location matters as much as the course you do.
    oh yeah- I know. I'm at uni at the minute. I was just thinking that even if the place wasn't that great I could maybe stick it out for three years to do the course I wanted.
    Remind me exactly where the campus is?
    Wellesbourne. Up a hill from the station apparently.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    If you think uni is all about your course, you're mistake. The location matters as much as the course you do.
    :yes: agreed. and i've learned that the hard way tbh.
    at the end of the day though, its your decision. some people like busy cities, some prefer more rural. but again, you cannot really get an accurate idea from other people. its all about personal preferences. go there. see how you feel and then decide. :)
    Dude, if you can't deal with the location, do a course somewhere else.
    What is it you actually want to study? Is it offered elsewhere?

Jon
    Kat_B wrote:
    Thank you :)
    I didn't realise London was so close so I guess that's a good thing. Although, does it cost a lot on the train to get there?
    The thing is, the course at the Uni sounds perfect but from what I've read there doesn't seem to be a great deal to do in the area and the Uni isn't that great. So I'm trying to decide if the course will make up for all of that. Or not!

It's £15 for an adult all zone day travelcard..
    music industry management and live production.

i cant find anywhere else that offers anything at all similar.. maybe im not looking properly but i really cant.

see, that is what i really want to do which is why i was saying even if the place isnt that great i could maybe stick it out....?

And thanks for the info about the travel :)
    Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

DON'T DO IT!! lol

no seriously, i've just finished my degree there thank God! Although i was based in the High Wycombe Campus (the one in the centre of town which was a relief cos the other campus' are miles away).

i too took one look 3 years ago at the uni which resembled a derelict sweat shop factory in order to do my course (that no other uni did) and although i was put off with the uni itself i repeated to myself over a million times that i was going to be here for academic reasons only lol. :banghead:

The town is ok with plenty of pubs however not many good clubs or shops, if any but most people hop onto the train to London anyway (which is around a tenner with ur student rail card for a day ticket)

The only downside is the fact that there are many rough areas where students tend to get assaulted by groups of asian gangs and those areas are where the uni have HTH in them!!! There is also a high drug rate in wycombe. :crazyeyes

The local cinema is up a GIGANTIC hill thus apart from the pubs, there's not really much for students to do.

i did video production and the facilities weren't very good (those damn avids!!) :mad: The teachers were great, however it seems that every year a member of staff seems to get poached by a better university (who can blame them?)

But the choice is yours mate. :D Either go there and repeat to yourself that your doing it for academic reasons and then once you're there baytch about the place for the next 3 years or go to another uni. OR if you can wait a few years, wait until they knock the whole institution down and rebuild it putting all the campus' under one roof and improving facililaties as well as the town centre itself (rumoured to be taking place in 2010) :yum:

goodluck in whatever you do :thumb:
    think my mummy works there, that the one my the Open-Air-Musuem?