Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do my GCSE's actually mean anything nowadays?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I did my GCSE's back in the day(2002) & got the following:
  • English Language-> C
  • English Literature-> B
  • Mathematics-> B
  • Science Dual Award-> C - C
  • Office Applications-> C
  • Geography-> C
  • German-> C
  • Resistant Materials-> D
  • Music-> E

So in short that's 2 B's, 6 C's, 1 D & 1 E.

Do they actually have any purpose? because i've yet to find any job advert that says you need X GCSE's in such & such a subject.

Are GCSE's that low nowadays where they just don't exist even though 5 years of secondary education has been poured into achieving them?

Comments

• Options
    It depends completely as to how far up you go, once you have a degree they are next to pointless, they are a means to an ends.

My results are worse than yours and its never gotten in my way. But then given I'm near retirement I doubt anyone would question them now.
  • Options
    A lot of jobs I found 2 years ago when I was looking wanted GCSE's. But they also wanted you at 16 rather than with A-Levels...I found nobody wanted folk with A-Levels because you were too old then to pay rubbish wages to whilst training but didn't have the qualifications to actually do anything.
  • Options
    The problem is i'm 19 with just GCSE's on the qualifications front & zero experience. So i'm trapped between a rock & a hard place so to speak :banghead: :crying:

I've got a full driving lisence but then i'm too young for places to insure me in a driving job :grump:
  • Options
    Get more qualified then.
  • Options
    Crispy wrote:
    The problem is i'm 19 with just GCSE's on the qualifications front & zero experience. So i'm trapped between a rock & a hard place so to speak :banghead: :crying:

I've got a full driving lisence but then i'm too young for places to insure me in a driving job :grump:

Except a crap job with a big company and work your arse off.
  • Options
    Accept, not except.
  • Options
    Some places will expect you to have GCSE maths and English, but generally that is irrelevant once you have a higher level of qualification.
  • Options
    If you have 5 A*-C, and have English Maths and Science the that's all that counts.

I don't know what jobs you've been looking at Crispy, but there are literally shed loads of office junior jobs that you can get on GCSEs. You ain't gonna be a boss without experience, but that's the same for grads too.
  • Options
    im kicking myself for not trying harder at school, i only got 2 C's because i was far too lazy.
    Now after five years ive decided i want to go to uni but got turned down from the course due to not having a C in maths :(

so im back to college in september to redo maths and english, and possibly one more to round it up to five before i apply again.

so in my case they did mean something.