Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anxiety from nicotine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone experienced this?

Occasionally when i'm smoking, i get very tense, panicky...i'm wondering if this spliff-related (complicated and slightly whimsical reasoning) or owing to nicotine itself. I've not come across anyone else with this problem...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does this happen solely when smoking a j or when smoking a ciggie too?
    Blagsta wrote:
    Does this happen solely when smoking a j or when smoking a ciggie too?

Only when smoking a fag. When mixed with weed, it doesn't happen.
    Probably the nicotine then. Could be that it speeds up your heart rate which you interpret as anxiety, could be the slight dopamine lift from the nicotine I guess.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Probably the nicotine then. Could be that it speeds up your heart rate which you interpret as anxiety, could be the slight dopamine lift from the nicotine I guess.

Yeah, I was thinking about it being dopamine related, seems very unusual but nothing else could account.
    I dont smoke but when I do (if pissed I have a habit of wanting to smoke) it normally does make me a little bit edgey.

I presume you dont smoke regularly?
    ive had this for a while lyk, didnt put it down to smoking tho, juss me. made me cut down on smoking. only 1 or 2 a day now. everytime i do tho i feel funny, and edgey as bongbudda said! :confused:
    No, i find a cigarette calms me.
    Shogun wrote:

thats cos you spend most of your time running around the bogs shouting "butt, butt" in school....hahahaha don't say thats not funny...
    turlough wrote:
    thats cos you spend most of your time running around the bogs shouting "butt, butt" in school....hahahaha don't say thats not funny...

And you don't...

" ah fuck up, you got the last one"
    Shogun wrote:
    And you don't...

" ah fuck up, you got the last one"

:lol: maybe so but i'm nowhere near as bad as you...in fact by me saying that meant that you called the last one and the one i wanted so haha
    Shogun wrote:

Thats because, I presume, you are addicted, so your body wants it and afterwards the craving is calmed.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Thats because, I presume, you are addicted, so your body wants it and afterwards the craving is calmed.

is that not the nature of the chemical nocotine though, makes you feel calm though in reality it speeds your heart beat up or something like that
    If you are addicted then it does have a tendancy to calm people yes, though thats maybe not purely from the nicotine.

You are chemically addicted, so your body is craving it, this hightens the senses and you are on edge, the satisfaction is calming.

There is also the mind set, you think it will calm you so it does.

And also the physical act of smoking is normally relaxing, you will be sitting or standing taking deep breaths.
    I'd love a cigarette now but don't have any, it's a mind thing this whole nicotine addicition.
    bongbudda wrote:
    I dont smoke but when I do (if pissed I have a habit of wanting to smoke) it normally does make me a little bit edgey.

I presume you dont smoke regularly?

Nah, I smoke every day...i evaded nicotine addiction for a considerable period, but having the world's biggest chainsmoker as a flatmate changed all that.