Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

degree classification

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i was just wondering what % each year (2nd & 3rd) counts for to make up for the final classification.
i know to get a 1st u need 70% or above, what about the rest of them? i cant seem to find it anywhere!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Each university differs as to what % you take through from your 2nd year to ya final year. At mine we don't have to take anythiong...they work out what gives us the best grade at the end.

Anyways yeah ya right 70% + = 1st
    60 - 70 = 2:1
    50 - 60 = 2:2
    40-50 = 3rd
    And you will need to get a set mark on your disscertation to make sure you get 'with honors'.
    Do you? I thought you just had to pass the dissertation?

Every uni is different anyway.
    level 1 doesn't count for anything
    2nd year = 30%
    final year = 70%
    at least thats what it is at my university.
    although they work it on grade points not percentages for degree classifications. like a GP13-15 is a 1st... etc.
    It varies from uni to uni, at some the only year that counts is the final year :crazyeyes:
    At mine it's 22% 2nd year, 33% 3rd year and 44% 4th year (yes i know that only makes 99%! ;) )
    I have to get an average of over 50% each year to progress though because it's a masters degree, a batchelors requires 40%
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Do you? I thought you just had to pass the dissertation?

Every uni is different anyway.

Thats what I mean, you cant hand in one page for your final paper and still get 'with honors' well unless its a dam good single page.
    in scottish uni's its different cos you do four years instead of three but it still varies from uni to uni. My uni they count your best four modules from 3rd year along with all your modules from 4th year. But it just depends on where you go.
    This confuses me to, but my uni awards alphanumerical grades eg a16 instead of numerical grades. Most of my grades (so far) have been high B's, assuming that i get the same for the assignments i've just submitted what classification am i likely to get (eg 1st, 2.1, 2.2 etc)? :confused:
    At my uni, on my course, stage one (1st year) doesn't count, stage 2 (second and third year) are 50% each, proviing you have an equal number of module credits in your secinf and third year.
    satehen wrote:
    This confuses me to, but my uni awards alphanumerical grades eg a16 instead of numerical grades. Most of my grades (so far) have been high B's, assuming that i get the same for the assignments i've just submitted what classification am i likely to get (eg 1st, 2.1, 2.2 etc)? :confused:

i'd take a guess at 2:1 but you will be able to find out from somewhere, module handbook etc?
    satehen wrote:
    may be think of a
    1st as an A
    2.1 as a B
    2.2 as a C
    3rd as a D
    pass as an E
    - but thats at a guess. :confused: