Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Work Experience

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
ok.... so i'm in year 10 and in 2 weeks i begin a 2 week "work experience".

What did people think of their work experiences and of the idea of work experience in general?

imo i see no point in it and think it is a complete waste of time :grump:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i did 2 weeks work experience - 1 in yr10 and 1 in yr11.

the first one was at BHS. i didn't mind this one, the staff were a tad boring though but i got to make a window display, do instoor displays, help on the fitting rooms and just do general tidying.

the second was at the hospital. i was on a something or other ward for something or other patients but it was crap. obviously you're really limited as to what you can do and i ended up handing lunch out to patients and carrying bloods and forms all around the hospital so i spent much of the week walking around getting lost.

i think it can be a good idea if you know the kind of area you'd like to work in when you're older.
    Fish_food wrote:
    ok.... so i'm in year 10 and in 2 weeks i begin a 2 week "work experience".

What did people think of their work experiences and of the idea of work experience in general?

its just something you've got to do really. i have to do some as part of my degree. its not something that just stops when you finish school, except if you go into work. its good for seeing jobs in practice. and for getting some experience, although 2 weeks isn't that long really ... best for you just to grin and bear it. where are you going to do it? - the best thing is to think about what you might like to do after school, and try and do something similar for your work experience if you can. (but bear in mind it might turn you off the job forever!)
    I found work experience really important because I wanted to be a lawyer but after spending two weeks at a solicitors firm I realised that it wasn't for me as there was too much paperwork and desk work for me. I thought that there would be more time in court doing trials but it was far more boring than TV shows make it seem. Therefore I decided that it wasn't for me and am now committed to the army and after university will be going to Sandhurst to hopefully get my Queens commission. Work experience is important to give you an insight into possible careers so make the most of it. Have fun and good luck!
    The first one was at Thomas Cook and all I did for a whole week was watch people booking holidays for customers. I also had the wonderful job of sticking labels with the store's address on the front of every single fucking brochure in their stock room. I got so fed up I randomly started sticking all the pages together... mwhahaha. Revenge!

My second work experience was at Dorothy Perkins. I pretty much worked there for the whole week. The only thing I wasn't allowed to do was be on the til, although I did pack bags etc. I spent most of the week on the fitting room. It was really shit because it was advertised as a work placement in the stockroom and I think I saw the inside of the stockroom once. :(

All in all it was crap and I gained absolutely nothing from it.
    definately important. It looks good on a CV too. These days any kind of edge you can give yourself in the business world is brilliant.
    I've got mine on Monday for a week. I'm going to a place in Rugby all week. Sounds fun and I know some of the staff there so I'm looking forward to it.
    mine starts on 23rd May.... i go to a lettings agency which i'd never heard of before.... the people seem friendly but i don't particularly want to work somewhere like that when i'm older and i have to work through half term
    My first work experience was at a pre school thing for two weeks, and it was so much fun filling a paddling pool up with baked beans for the kiddies to stomp in!

And my second one was at a primary school with a year one class, which was also pretty good untill i trapped a nerve in my back and had to go home cause i couldn't move. But luckily it was only a week placement so i only missed one day.
    I did one week the week before October half term. The thing is, I'm one of these who is very quiet around strangers and they were all trying to get me to talk about stuff. And I got told because there's some sort of law that you're meant to have at least half an hour lunch break, but I'd have my dinner then just get back to work...
    i did 1 weeks work experience and i went to work with the animals at the local mspca.. NOT what i wanted to do ( i put down as my first choice media but too many people picked it - GRR)

spent the whole week working with the cats and cleaning out cat poo.. fun fun fun :p

few cute kittens though.. and 2 cats with huuuge bushy tails that i laughed at every time i saw them ;) apart from that.. rubbish.. people didnt talk to me either :(
    soraliah wrote:
    i did 1 weeks work experience and i went to work with the animals at the local mspca.. NOT what i wanted to do ( i put down as my first choice media but too many people picked it - GRR)

spent the whole week working with the cats and cleaning out cat poo.. fun fun fun :p

few cute kittens though.. and 2 cats with huuuge bushy tails that i laughed at every time i saw them ;) apart from that.. rubbish.. people didnt talk to me either :(

That sounds awful. I worked in the County Court in town. Didn't do that much 'work' though, spent most of it being taught stuff about how the filing systems work and saw a few trials as well which was interesting.
    Fish_food wrote:
    mine starts on 23rd May.... i go to a lettings agency which i'd never heard of before.... the people seem friendly but i don't particularly want to work somewhere like that when i'm older and i have to work through half term

that takes the piss a bit surely!

oh and i've forgotten about another work experience i did. i did a week at a primary school with 6/7yr olds when i was at college. :D
    I did a week in year 10 at this Computer training/ maintenance company. Was ok i guess, i just did basic office work for the first few days but was glad that i was able to get some hands on work with some of the technicians there.

Was glad i did it to be honest :)
    my work experience was great - wasnt sure if i wanted to work in town planning or building control, did a week in building control, and now too many years later i'm about 18months of qualifying as a planner!! and i get to work with the people who looked after me all those years ago..........
    I worked for 2 weeks in a stables and riding school. it was what i thaught i wanted to do at the time and was also my hobby. i really enjoyed it but im one of those people that can talk to anyone. i made some good friends and still go down to say hello occasionally and that 5 years later
    I did several weeks community service as a teachers assistant, which was more like work experience, at one of my local junior school and i really enjoyed it!
    Ive also had numerous days doing work shadowing at different companys, including a genetics research company and the Environment Agency.
    I think work experience is a thumbs up, even if it does put you off that area of work! And it looks good on your CV