Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I've given up.

SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
Smoking.

My mother's got lung cancer from smoking and it look it's almost certain that's what she'll die from.
Having seen what this utterly pointless drug does I've decided I'm better off without it.

I've been smoking for about 8 years now but I reckon it's never too late to give up. I've gone 5 days so far and have found it quite easy. Going out on the weekend will be the biggest test though.
Weekender Offender 

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sorry to hear about that mate :(

it is a pointless drug, no benefits from it whatsoever, i've tried to stop aswell and the weekends realy are just too much in terms of temptation, but anyway good luck with it
    best of luck skive.
    it realy is the worst drug on the market and as you say ...utterly pointless.
    me ...i've been a slave to the stuff for longer than you lot have lived.
    i'm aiming once again to stop ...on my birthday.
    Sorry to hear about that. :crying:

Good luck quitting and i think the weekend will be the hardest test. Especially if your not sober.
    Good luck dudes
    I'm sorry about your mum, best of luck with quitting smoking. Lung cancer runs in my family and suppose it's acted more as a deterrent for me. :(
    Skive -

Good luck
    Good luck
    Good luck
    Good luck
    Good luck :thumb:

It sucks about your mum, man.
    But she'll be very proud of you for giving up, eh?

Keep us posted as to how you're doing.
    I'm sorry to hear that Skive, nasty news indeed, I hope at least the time she has left is as good as it can be.

And best of luck with the giving up, though of course its not about luck, just stick with it, think of the money and harm compared to the high.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    :( very sorry to hear that Mr Skive. As for stopping, I wish you strength to keep at it.
    Sorry to hear that skive. My nana died of lung cancer 2 years ago. Its not nice.
    Wishing you strength :(
    So sorry to hear about your mum.

I've just stopped as well. Only been a day but I'm so chuffed with myself already but as you said - totally dreading the weekend!

Are you on patches or gum or anything like that? They say the first three days are the worst and you're over them so just keep going with it. There is too much to loose if you don't.
    Sorry to hear about that dude, hope she gets better soon. Good luck to ya aswell.

Ans c'mon Row, you can do it hen!
    Good luck skive.
    oh mate im so sorry :(

good luck with giving up
    I'm really sorry to hear that :(

but best of luck with giving up smoking and i'm sure your mum will be proud of you for giving up.

best of luck.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Cheers people - still not had a fag. :D Finding it quite easy but then my assistant at work doesn't smoke so I don't and I havn't been up the pub yet so I havn't really felt any temptation.
    I've been having a few drinks at home tring to get used to get used to drinking without smoking - it's working.
    I'm not using gum or patches - as far as I'm concerned they just carry on your addiction - it's all or nothing.

My mums had lung cancer for a couple of yuears now anyway, it's not the first time I've mentioned it on these boards but recenlty it's spread to her bones and liver which is pretty shitty. :(

Made me think - time to give up.
    Weekender Offender