Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Year 11 study leave and other exam stuff

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Why do we not get study leave anymore?

And why are we not leagaly allowed to leave until the end of June (last Friday of June or something) EVEN if our exams have finished way before then?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    From what I understand, students at Year 11 normally finish their school term in early May. What happened for me was, as the GCSE exams started in the first week of June, there were a few weeks off towards the end of May. However, because exams start earlier this year, it means there effectively isn't time for any study leave.

As for when you're finished with your exams, you're allowed to leave the school. You are officially, however, still a student with that school until the last Friday of June, in this case, 24th June 2005. You can stay home after finishing exams from what I understand, though this may vary from school to school. Ask your form tutor or equivalent for more on this. :)
    Hey
    Well we have 2 secondary schools in our town! The other one's year 11's broke up for study leave today!!! :eek2: and damn are they rubbing it in our faces!!! The system our school came up with was go to your lessons untill u have that exam then you dont have to come in anymore for that subject! This was the only compramise both teachers and pupils would accept, i do kinda agree that we will b doing more work when in lessons than left to our own devices! It still sucks tho :yeees:

:wave:
    I got study leave. As far as I know my school still does it.
    Hey
    Well we have 2 secondary schools in our town! The other one's year 11's broke up for study leave today!!! :eek2: and damn are they rubbing it in our faces!!! The system our school came up with was go to your lessons untill u have that exam then you dont have to come in anymore for that subject! This was the only compramise both teachers and pupils would accept, i do kinda agree that we will b doing more work when in lessons than left to our own devices! It still sucks tho :yeees:

:wave:

We have exactly the same thing.
    I had about a week long study leave I think, my school took the view that nobody would do any work if they gave us time off. Probably better that your in school learning rather than sitting in the park getting pissed on cider. Cider is bad for you.

Bopz
    Having gone to a public (fee-paying) school, I don't know the exact ins and outs of state schools but I know that there is a law saying that you have to have a certain number of school dates per year. Also they might have thought that those staying on for A levels should probably start their work early. Either that or they thought that exam leave might encourage people to slack off and do nothing all day. I know there is that temptation.
    but your meant to slack off after your exams, its your reward for being at school for 11 years
    Bopperz wrote:
    I had about a week long study leave
    same.
    at the end of the day if you organize your time properly, you don't really need it.
    i'm at university now... and i still just get a week for research and study before a month of exams.
    The local high school here cancelled study leave. They even have their oral exam while there still at school. They break up on friday, have an exam on monday.
    It doesn't matter for me - I finish exams in 13 days and then have around 15 months away from Uni! Hooray for me!
    olaola wrote:
    but your meant to slack off after your exams, its your reward for being at school for 11 years
    or being qualified enough to get a realistic job is your reward for being thoroughly and hugely blessed and gifted with an education.
    The local high school here cancelled study leave. They even have their oral exam while there still at school. They break up on friday, have an exam on monday.

We did that too.

At the time it felt so unfair, but in hindsight it was for the best. I wouldn't have done any work if we had been on "study" leave.
    My school chopped study leave down to the immediate weeks when the exams take place because statistically crime goes up when year 11s go on study leave, apparently.
    Thats an awsome statisitic! I did my "orals" whilst still in school. Didn't know it happened any other way! Iv'e got 9 days off for study leave at uni. Rocking, should be doing work, but instead im going to play computer games! :thumb:

Bopz
    I managed to study fine enough on study leave, though maybe I'm just weird.
    yeh same, its all about getting into a set routine of daily revising. If you know your teaches email adresses that helps, then you can email them for help, for that reason i dont see the point on schools not letting you have study leave. If students want to muck about thats there choice, they will suffer cosequences
    Apparantely study leave hasn't existed for the last fours years or something?(or we it's been banned from our school for four years)
    From what I can remember my study leave always stared in the Friday before the exams started (GSCEs and 6th form). It does vary quit a bit from school to school.

Wish I had a week off to prepare for my two exams in June not working a 30-35 hour week