Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The contraceptive injection

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, as some of you may know due to previous posts I am on the pill. The only prob with this is that I'm always forgetting to take them!
I went down to the FP centre this morinin and asked if they had any other suitable options they suggested the injection.
The only problem with this is I am TERRIFIED of needles and injections.
Is anybody else using this method of contraception and what are their experiences of it? Is it a big needle? Does it hurt?
I also aked them about an implant but they weren't too keen on giving me this as apparently it's better for older people. Is any body else using the implant? If so what are their thoughts and experiences about it?
Thanks everybody!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have been on the Depo Provera injection for a little over a year and have experienced nothing but problems with it. Sure it's convenient to go in once every three months for the injection (which is given in the fatty part of the hip with only a small pinch)but the side affects are horrible. In the first few months, I lost a lot of hair, gained more weight than one normally does on the pill, and had mood swings. I thought nothing of it continued taking the injection, which lead to prolonged periods of breakthrough bleeding and depression. I'm now going off the injection for my own personal well being. If you're considering Depo Provera, I would suggest you do a lot of research on it. I know WebMd has a lot of great articles that may help you make a choice.
    As for implants, I talked this over with my doctor as well and he does not recommend them as the capsules can migrate and cause serious muscular problems, among other things.

[This message has been edited by kristen-killar (edited 06-08-2000).]