Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

apprenticeship?????

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
currenty doing I.T at college and not getting the most out of it, ive decieded to do an apprenticeship but the thing is i dont know which one, i like the idea of doing the job your training for and i like working outside but i dont want to be a plumber (because every else is) so any ideas would help!!!!

Comments

• Options
    brickie, gardener, builder, plasterer (ok, kind of inside, but along the same lines), electrician, surveyor?

those kind of jobs are always in demand, and people will pay well for quality work.
  • Options
    yeah, if you can do plastering then that is funky. Electrician also.
    Lots of $$$ later.
  • Options
    dont mind plastering but too many new rules for sparky i thought about painter and decorator how much do they get paid?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey there,

Have a look at this link from the connexions website about painting and decorating.

Looks like pay could vary quite a bit.
  • Options
    My boyfriend is a chippy apprentice for David Wilson homes, he's on his level 2 thingy at the minute and gets £215 a week after tax, including his 'transport costs' ie they give you money towards your petrol if your an apprentice.
    He has to go college one day a week, and take exams and stuff, while the rest of the week he's on site.
    And within that there is different things you can do, like bench joinery, or what my boyfriend does, which ranges from joysts 1st 2nd and 3rd fixes and basically whatever needs doingon whatever site there at cause he travels to different ones within te area quite a bit.

I have a friend who used to do the same but was a plasterer for Jelson homes and he got roughly the same. I think it depends on what you do/who your employeers are.

ETA in the long run it would depend on how good you are/who employees you etc. David Wilson homes sub contract my boyfriends boss and he pulls in on average a grand a week after tax based on how much he does. But the qualified carpenters on the site, that are on Wilson's books get paid a set wage per week, but get the benefits my boyfriends boss doesn't like paid holidays/sick pay etc.