Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Supermarket Interview

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
uh-oh.

Yeah so i need a job, got an interview..i dont/havent really had a proper job before.

What should kind of questions should i expect? any tips
:cool:

Comments

• Options
    They'll probably be most concerned about the hours you can work, and your flexibility with regards to working weekends and other shifts.

I'm sure they'll also ask you a few "customer service" related questions, especially if you're going to be working on the supermarket floor, or on tills. Maybe things such as how you'd deal with a customer complaint (about mess, or something similar), they just want to know if you're going to be polite and helpful, really.

Just be sure to get in a lot of positive chatter about how well you work in a team, how you enjoy interacting with members of the public (lie through your teeth if you have to) and how you're flexible (if you are), reliable and eager to gain some experience in the workplace.

It's possible there might be a group interview, I know some supermarkets do them. They might ask you to have a group discussion; you should try to have regular, relevant input, but don't dominate the discussion. When I used to work at M&S, an employee walked around the shop floor with us and we had to comment on the placement of certain things that were conducive to sales (such as, having sweets and other little bits and bobs by the tills, so customers might be tempted while they were queueing).

To be honest, if you're well-presented, friendly, and seem capable then you really shouldn't have a problem, despite not having experience (which isn't a big issue with supermarkets). Getting the interview is half the battle, good luck!

:)
  • Options
    uh-oh.

Yeah so i need a job, got an interview..i dont/havent really had a proper job before.

What should kind of questions should i expect? any tips
    :cool:

Supermarket interviews are a piece of piss, they'll ask what hours you can work, why you want to work there, what hobbies you have etc.. don't worry.
  • Options
    for mine we just did team building, making towers out of magazines and balancing chocolate on the top then eating it, then they asked us what hours we could work, and if we could train the following weekend, and that was about it.
  • Options
    Yeh I wouldn't worry about it. I work at a supermarket part-time and the questions were fine. Like, what hobbies do you do? what do you study at the moment? career aspirations? when you can work etc..?
  • Options
    kate2419 wrote:
    for mine we just did team building, making towers out of magazines and balancing chocolate on the top then eating it, then they asked us what hours we could work, and if we could train the following weekend, and that was about it.

its what makes supermarket work so rubbish, i never dreamed of being a shelf stacker, its a slackers job who cant get work else where, i fell out everyday with my supervisor on produce, until one day i turned round and said im nipping out for a while, and he said in other words your not coming back, i replied alios amego, and the best thing is everyone who worked there clapped me on out of the place, even managers were there, everyone respected what i thaught of my self and them as slackers, majority of the staff there are good freinds, off mine but they agree what they really are...........
    they ask you rubbish questions like what did you do last week, not what or where you worked before supermarket managers are crap, dum and stupid people, especially supervisors.............
  • Options
    its what makes supermarket work so rubbish, i never dreamed of being a shelf stacker, its a slackers job who cant get work else whereQUOTE]

Generalising a bit arent we? In a weeks time i will have a degree, i allready have 9 GCSE's, 2 A-Levels, an NVQlevel 3 and a HND, i can get a better job anytime i want. Problem is i'm a student and will be for the next year (post grad), i want a bit of pocket money and only to work 6 hours a week, so i have time to study, where else can i get a job like that? At my place there is a high percentage of students, my mate is even studying for a Masters degree! Were not all slackers, we just need some spare cash. I know what you mean about the supervisors though, i'm more qualified than any of them!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    iits a slackers job who cant get work else where,

What a pile of shit. I am stacking shelves at the moment because I can't get work doing what I want. And I would rather be stacking shelves than nothing because, crap as the pay is, it is still pay and it would be a gap in my employment history if I just waited for the perfect job.

That certainly doesn't make me a slacker.

Geez.
  • Options
    for a lot of people, supermarket work is very handy - very much so for students. the pay is generally good for the work and the work tends to be flexible.

i remember getting asked to give a time when i'd had to show i was responsible or something.