Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Are teachers allowed to do this?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
If you tell a teacher something really private, do they have the right to tell everyone in the whole school? (or anyone for that matter)

Just wondering because this happened to someone yesterday and I personally think that this teacher didn't have the right to do this...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It would depend on the situation and what it was.
  • Options
    Depends on what it is but basically teachers have to pass certain information on eg. child abuse and such like. Teachers are not supposed to tell you that they'll keep things to themselves but very often they are not in a position to do so and would be compromising their own position if they did.

This is quite a difficult question to ask though without actually knowing a little bit more about the situation.
  • Options
    Generally they shouldn't tell everyone in the school. In certain cases they may have to pass information on to more senior members of staff though.
  • Options
    Teachers have a responsiblity to pass on information if it's necessary to do so.
  • Options
    It depends on what you mean by the whole school and how they did it for example if they told everyone in a school assembly.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    It depends on what you mean by the whole school and how they did it for example if they told everyone in a school assembly.

yeah, that'swhat the teacher did.

Basically, on Wednesday morning a teacher was puched and kicked by a student. The headteacher decided that he was going to cancel last lesson and one of the teachers gave an assembly. And she said something about this boy, why she thinks he did it and mentioned something about him having to watch (years ago now I think) his dad and two brothers being tortured. Personally, I don't think she had any right to say stuff like that to anyone.
  • Options
    Well I personally think that sounds like the teacher was being MORE than understanding, given that this kid had attacked her. It sounds like she was trying to offer the school an explanation for his violent behaviour, rather than let everyone just think he was an arsehole.
    I personally dont think your friend had any right as a pupil to attack his teacher, and you should lay off the poor woman. If it was me, id have him prosecuted.
  • Options
    the teacher isn't obliged to keep a confidentiality.
    and i agree with Rainbow Bright here, it sounds like from what you've said; she was just trying to offer an explanation for that kids behaviour.
    tbh though i think he should be grateful she is being so understanding... generally, for that behaviour he should be disciplined / expelled.
  • Options
    Are pupils allowed to do this?
  • Options
    I vote Rainbow Brite.
  • Options
    no but it sounds like she doesnt actually KNOW the boy did it she just thinks he did so no she has no right to point fingers without any proof and the thing about mentioning how he watched his dad and two brothers being tortured is imho disgracful on her part

how would you like it if a tacher decided to just blab something like that about you to an entire school?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I vote Rainbow Brite.

:yes:

Am I understanding this correctly... boy attacked teacher, teacher defended his actions and in the process told the school about his past? If so, when he assaulted the teacher I reckon he gave up any rights to confidentiality!
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    the teacher isn't obliged to keep a confidentiality.
    and i agree with Rainbow Bright here, it sounds like from what you've said; she was just trying to offer an explanation for that kids behaviour.
    tbh though i think he should be grateful she is being so understanding... generally, for that behaviour he should be disciplined / expelled.

He is excluded.
  • Options
    If you tell a teacher something really private, do they have the right to tell everyone in the whole school? (or anyone for that matter)

It depends on what it is. If its an issue regarding child protection for example, the teacher is obliged to tell others, eg head teacher and social services.
  • Options
    From what I read it was a different teacher giving the assembly / explaining than the one attacked. It is not appropriate to delve into his past without his permission however, as it's a breach of confidence. Not that teacher's have to keep secrets, but say one day I got in a fight and then a teacher was explaining to people things about my past like my dad dying. I would think she had no right whatsoever to tell people that without my permission.

If a teacher had a bad episode at school and a student started telling everyone whats going on they would get brought up before the principal and told if they keep saying it they'll be consequences, etc.

I'm not defending what the boy did, but it's not appropriate to talk about his past like that without his permission.
  • Options
    From what I read it was a different teacher giving the assembly / explaining than the one attacked. It is not appropriate to delve into his past without his permission however, as it's a breach of confidence. Not that teacher's have to keep secrets, but say one day I got in a fight and then a teacher was explaining to people things about my past like my dad dying. I would think she had no right whatsoever to tell people that without my permission.

If a teacher had a bad episode at school and a student started telling everyone whats going on they would get brought up before the principal and told if they keep saying it they'll be consequences, etc.

I'm not defending what the boy did, but it's not appropriate to talk about his past like that without his permission.

My thoughts exactly.

And what's made it even worse is that now it's on the front of the local paper...
  • Options
    do you not see this teacher is a person too, who is undoubtedly hurt and humiliated that one of her pupils attacked her? Why do so many schoolkids seem to think that teachers are a different species to them? He may not have wanted her to talk about his past, but tbh, its a much lesser crime than physically attacking someone, and the fact hes a violent brute with no respect for someone who has spent years training to help brats like that and what does she get in return - kicked and punched!
    I think you need to stop worrying about how to defend your mate and trying to have another `kick` at the teacher by making out she has done something unforgivably wrong in the way she and the school responded to the attack.
  • Options
    Why do so many schoolkids seem to think that teachers are a different species to them?
    tbh i used to think that. :p
    i think it is partly because of the power dynamics between teacher and pupil.
    think you need to stop worrying about how to defend your mate and trying to have another `kick` at the teacher by making out she has done something unforgivably wrong in the way she and the school responded to the attack.
    :yes: i think you need to keep some perspective on this ChartFreak.
    don't take a "them and us" attitude to it. at the end of the day: physically assaulting someone is wrong, however you look at it. and your mate does deserve to be excluded from school because of it. - end of.
    the fact the teacher broke a conidentiality is neither here or there - she is not obliged to keep a confidentiality and as has been said before she was probably just trying to explain his behaviour in the context of his past experiences... i.e. trying to help him!!!
  • Options
    If he attacked her then the whingeing moron lost his rights to anything except a good kicking.
  • Options
    My thoughts on justice if that if someone does something wrong they receive a sentence so to speak and then it is done and dusted. This boys sentence was to be expelled. Then a teacher explaining to the whole school he's got a f*cked up history seems to me just to be taking a dig at him.

I'm not defending his actions, just saying he faced the consequences of them already, he's been expelled. He doesn't need the teachers telling everyone how messed up he is as well.

To draw a parallel, think of maxine carr, she broke the law, paid her time in prison yet people are still going to bad mouth her and possibly attack her even though she's paid the price. Even though imo attacking someone who's there for your benefit is worse than lying to protect a loved one, the same rules should apply.

But we're possibly taking it out of proportion anyway, there are more important things going on. But at the end of the day this idiot of a kid has done something and paid the price twice over. If that kind of thing had happened to me when I was a kid and the whole school was told I'd probably not want to go back to that school again.
  • Options
    and if youd done that, then it wouldnt be much of a loss if you hadnt gone back to be honest.
    Teachers dont need that sort of shit. People have got a right to be safe at work.
    Would you be saying what a bad thing this teacher had done if this happened to be the kid that raped that teacher, or is this ok and its the poor lad whos the victim in all this, because someone tried to be thoughtful and try to explain WHY they thought he might have been acting violently.
    Giving an antisocial kid a holiday from school isnt a punishment.
  • Options
    hi i think they are allowed to tell people i thinks ash