Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Asking for a pay rise

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Having checked around I'm not getting the same pay as other people who do the same job as me, and having searched the jobs papers there are people doing more 'lowly' jobs being paid far more. My colleagues are also earning more than me for doing the same job (one woman who started a year after me is earning 40p more an hour and she's really pretty crap at the job anyway!) So, I want a pay rise or a new job.

I've heard from a colleague that my employer told her I was far too intelligent to be doing the job I'm doing, so I know she recognises that I've got potential and I'm a good asset (she told my colleague not to tell me this because she thinks it would encourage me to leave).

Anyway, I know I can't just march up and demand a pay rise or threaten to leave, because they can always just say 'fine, leave!' I know it will be hard for them to find someone else to fill the position as we've had great difficulty filling vacancies in the past.

I want at least a rise of 50p an hour to bring me up to the same level as everyone else, which could be pushing it.

Anyway, despite appearances I get quite shy in confrontational situations, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips of how to go about asking for the rise. :nervous:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My mum's a teacher and she was chatting with her colleagues in the staff room, grumbling about the usual sorts of things and pay and was flicking through the appointments section of the TES pointing out the jobs available locally. Her HoD overheard and mentioned it to the Head. She was then summonsed to see the Head, who asked her whether a pay rise would encourage her to stay! So she's now got a pay rise from next year without even asking for it or even seriously considering leaving.

My advice to you would be to speak to your line manager, be totally honest and say that you feel that your experience and competence should be recognised with an increase in your hourly rate - and suggest a figure.

See what they say to that and then consider whether you should look for another job.

My now-ex-girlfriend (:() had to provide evidence to her employer that equivalent jobs in the region were paying more before they would give her a raise.
    Simone, are you a member of Unison? If you are then enlist them, they're so much better at it than I could possibly be. Also, try ringing ACAS for advice.

I'm asking at work for you later on btw :)

I don't like to rock the boat. I love working in such a small place (ten members of staff) because everyone is so friendly and you feel like part of a team, but you're punished heavily with gossip etc if you rock the boat.

Kentish, I dropped it into conversation with my manager a couple of weeks back... a GP down the road was advertising for a new member of staff and I told her that "whilst I was looking for a new job I came across Dr X's advert" and she laughed! :eek2:

I'm going to ask for a meeting with her, but she is on secondment to the TPCT at the moment and rarely in work. :(
    If you put your head down and never upset anyone then you always get shat on from a great height. Why would they pay you a fair wage if they knew that they could rob you and get away with it?

ACAS would be a good organisation to ring, as they can tell you your rights and how to approach your boss to get a fair wage.
    If you're uncomfortable negotiating face-to-face, maybe put your request in writing.