Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

finish uni and get a job!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
for people who have graduated from university...
how long did it take you before you started your career?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    don't know if i'd call it a career, but i got my first proper graduate job 2 months after graduating.

but i'd been looking for 5 or 6 months previously.
    what a scary thought, I dont think I really want to...
    I started working in the field that I wanted to work in the summer between 2nd and 3rd years and carried on part time during my final year.

So before I graduated I guess is the answer to that - I then went back to uni and worked part time whilst doing a Masters as well.

If you know what you want to do i really recommend getting some experience whilst your still at university it will put you in good stead for applying to jobs when you graduate and if your looking for a typical graduate job will mean you have something to write down in all those horrible application forms.

I think that most people do get a job after graduating but it might not be in the field you want - I've got a couple of friends who had crap jobs for a couple of years after uni untill they got into the field they wanted - mostly film and television stuff though.
    I graduated in 2003 and have just done rubbish jobs since then. I didn't know what I wanted to do when i left uni until recently and am going back to uni in August to do a post grad in primary teaching.

Me and all my friends did totally different degrees and none of us have had proper jobs since graduating. Most are planning on going back to uni to do teaching, social work etc.

On the other hand, when my boyfriend graduated he got a job doing exactly what he wanted straight away.