Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Brutality

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Time to restore the death pennalty I think, 21 years is not "life" this man will be out by the time I am 37, I only hope he doesint suspect me to be a peedaphile.

'Savage killer' jailed for life

A man who tortured a homeless widower to death in the mistaken belief he was a paedophile, has been jailed for life.

Brian Kearney, 21, donned a hooded jacket and a belt filled with weapons before cycling to a deserted barn and attacking Barry Sewell, 49.

Newcastle Crown Court heard Kearney used "unimaginable violence" in December's attack on Mr Sewell, who was described by a police as harmless.

Kearney, from Sunderland, was told he would serve at least 21 years in jail.

The court was told Kearney, of Morgan Street in the city, repeatedly battered homeless Mr Sewell's head with hammers and used a bar to smash his kneecaps and shins.

"Ferocious and savage"

He then dropped 35lb breeze blocks on his head before ramming a metal pole into his body.

A post-mortem examination showed Mr Sewell's skull had been smashed by at least 25 separate blows, and had fractures to his legs and ribs.

A pole had ripped through his bowel, passed through the contents of his abdominal cavity and pierced the interior abdominal wall.

There had been at least 36 hammer blows to Mr Sewell, most of which were delivered with "severe" force.

Most of the injuries were inflicted while Mr Sewell was lying dead or dying, but injuries to his hands indicated he had put up a fight.

Judge David Hodson, the Recorder of Newcastle, told Kearney: "The attack you mounted on Mr Sewell was as about as ferocious and savage and sustained attack that I have ever heard tell.

Murderer Brian Kearney will serve at least 21 years

"You know that there is only one sentence that this court can pass and that is life imprisonment."

As Kearney left the dock, abuse was shouted at him from the public gallery.

Detective Chief Inspector Jim Napier, of Northumberland Police, who led the murder hunt, said: "Barry Sewell pursued an unconventional lifestyle and was basically a harmless man who was well known around Southwick.

"He was a totally innocent and defenceless victim who was subjected to a completely unprovoked and vicious attack of the most unimaginable violence."

The court heard how Kearney tried to cover his tracks by pretending to discover the body, but the plan back-fired.

A statement from Mr Sewell's family said: "Barry was a much loved son, father, grandfather, brother and uncle who came from a large family.

"In his later years he did have his problems and chose to live outdoors, a way of life he enjoyed.

"But it does not matter what problems he had, no one deserved to die in this terrible way."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/4517189.stm

Comments

• Options
    The Death penalty. Barbaric.

Surely an easy way out for Criminals also. ;)

Plus if the Death Penelty is given to someone innocent its as bad as murder.
  • Options
    in cases like this i don't think the death penalty is suitable, it never is, in cases like these life meaning life...thats the worst form of punishment...
  • Options
    That's a sentance of 1 year more than the guy who was making LSD in his basement and selling it.

People, what the fuck is wrong with this country?
  • Options
    A man who tortured a homeless widower to death in the mistaken belief he was a paedophile, has been jailed for life.
    [/B]

After some of the threads on here, I get the feeling that more than a few would be applauding the murderer if the victim really was a paedophile......
  • Options
    After some of the threads on here, I get the feeling that more than a few would be applauding the murderer if the victim really was a paedophile......

The only person who be applauding the murder of an untried suspected paedophile would be Brian Kearney himself. This is not Iran, the decent British people favour the innocent until proven guilty mantra over the 'let's pretend that innocent man is a paedophile and kill him' middle eastern mob rule mentality.
  • Options
    The only person who be applauding the murder of an untried suspected paedophile would be Brian Kearney himself. This is not Iran, the decent British people favour the innocent until proven guilty mantra over the 'let's pretend that innocent man is a paedophile and kill him' middle eastern mob rule mentality.

And there was me thinking that Paulsgrove was in the uk

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    And there was me thinking that Paulsgrove was in the uk

I said decent. And there was me thinking you could read.

• Options

why bring the bloody middle east into this :banghead:

sadly in this country if someone gets accused of sexual offences or murder and get cleared when it goes to trial most people still reckon theyre guilty, they just got off sort of thing
  • Options
    I said decent. And there was me thinking you could read.

So, the people of Paulsgrove are not decent?

:sigh:
  • Options
    So, the people of Paulsgrove are not decent?

:sigh:

Have you ever been to Paulsgrove? I'm assuming this is Paulsgrove in Portsmouth we're talking about...
  • Options
    Have you ever been to Paulsgrove? I'm assuming this is Paulsgrove in Portsmouth we're talking about...

yes
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit

Skates, decent?
    Are they fuck! :D
    Weekender Offender