Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Contact Lenses

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey all!

Was just wonderin about deals on contact lenses. I currently pay £12 a month direct debit for monthly disposable contact lenses that get posted to my house

Does anyone know of or already pays for a better deal? Also are contact lenses that last more than a month cheaper and are they of the same quality?

Thanks xxx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    what brand?
    Mine are ciel XII aspheric???

From Optical Express

I have a feeling a may be getting ripped off...
    I pay £70.50 every six months for mine, so its pretty similar.
    I pay £18.50 a month for mine from specsavers,

How do you mean disposable? like daily disposable or monthly disposable?

Mine i wear for 30 days and nights and then put a new pair in
    Mine are monthly disposable

On specsavers website its £30 for 6 months of monthly disposables and £60 for monthly toric??? I have no idea what toric is...
    Toric lenses are differently shaped and weighted to keep them central, and are used if the wearer's eye has an astigmatism. If you needed toric lenses your optician would have prescribed them for you.

I pay £40 a quarter for monthly continuous wear lenses.
    I know this thread is a bit old but I am considering getting contact lenses again, I had them on the NHS when I was nine but that was years again and I am now 18. Anyway are contact lenes hard to get in and to get out and to get used too?
    mine are £9.99 a month from vision express, thats with all solutions and aftercare
    Mr Brites are £14.99 from the same place, but his lenses are slightly different to mine.
    Mine are monthly disposables - but not continuous wear, so you can't sleep in them. I pay £10 a month from Specsavers, with all solutions and stuff included.

ETA - I find mine really easy to put in and take out. At first, obviously it was weird but only took me a couple of attempts to get into the swing of it.
    How do you get used to contacts? When I tried some I just wanted to take them straight out. Not because they felt uncountable but because having everything with full sharpness felt very weird. Also felt like I had my head up against a glass window and I was looking through it.
    How do you get used to contacts? When I tried some I just wanted to take them straight out. Not because they felt uncountable but because having everything with full sharpness felt very weird. Also felt like I had my head up against a glass window and I was looking through it.

Were they soft or hard contacts? I tried hard ones first of all but they made me eyes itch... they felt like they were scratching my eyeball. Nasty. But the soft ones are spot on.

If you are short-sighted like me then it takes a while to get used to having peripheral vision, but I didn't find it difficult to switch between glasses and contacts.

The main reason I stopped wearing contacts was because they would dry my eyes out after a day, because I used the computer lots, and still do.

These days though i think that they have improved the water amounts with the newer contacts. yarrr.
    Can you wear contacts abroad?
    Kermit wrote:
    I pay £40 a quarter for monthly continuous wear lenses.

Where do you get yours from? I was paying £16.50 monthly for mine, which has now gone down to £15.50 (got a letter this morning!) but yours still work out cheaper... i'm with specsavers.
    Just had a letter from Spec savers saying mine are going down rom £17 to £15

result!
    I've had the exciting letter too - mine have gone from £10 to £8 per month. Winner!
    I have a toric lens for my left eye because of astigmatism. Fucking pain in the arse. I pay 10.50 a month. I'm considering Laser Eye Surgery.
    Mist wrote:
    If you are short-sighted like me then it takes a while to get used to having peripheral vision, but I didn't find it difficult to switch between glasses and contacts.

The main reason I stopped wearing contacts was because they would dry my eyes out after a day, because I used the computer lots, and still do.

These days though i think that they have improved the water amounts with the newer contacts. yarrr.

yeah, they have. I wear Focus Dailies, and they're really good, they've never bothered me unless i'm really tired and then they get sticky.
    I don't think you're getting ripped off, though by the sounds of it, I am....