Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Not sure what to do for work experience :/

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well i'm in year 10 (I'm 14) and I've got, like, 3 weeks left to fix some work experience for July or the school gets fined (apparently. dunno why). Thing is I have no idea where to go. I know a lot of people have just gone for any old place, but I'd kinda like to go somewhere that might give me an insight into my future career. I'm really interested in psychology and fashion, so what kinda business should I look for. Keeping in mind the deadline, that I live in a small town and am unable to go to a city, and that most of the good places have probably gone by now.
Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    you don't have to do something related to what you want to do - chances are you might change your mind when you're a bit older.

i got to do 2 work experiences, and i did one in BHS and one at the hospital. BHS was good, but avoid hospitals at all costs.
  • Options
    Just do something that you think you will enjoy..if you like fashion, maybe a clothes shop?
  • Options
    yeah.. i was thinking of a clothes shop, but theres about 3 clothes shops in town and about 150 girls in my year :s i'll give one a ring anyway. would i be able to work in a hospital? wouldn't there be a threat to patient confidentiality or don't i have to have some sort of qualification? i don't really wanna be cleaning up sick :p
  • Options
    I did mine at a riding school, it was a good laugh
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    yeah.. i was thinking of a clothes shop, but theres about 3 clothes shops in town and about 150 girls in my year :s i'll give one a ring anyway. would i be able to work in a hospital? wouldn't there be a threat to patient confidentiality or don't i have to have some sort of qualification? i don't really wanna be cleaning up sick :p

my school arrange all of ours - though some people sorted their own.

you could go to a hospital - but if your school isn't arranging for students to go there, it's unlikely. unless that is of course that you show a keen interest in wanting to be a nursey type when you're older. you wouldn't be clearing up sick, they have cleaners to do that. all i did was carry bloods down to pathology and hand lunch out. oh, and they shut me in a room with a patient who was scaring me.
  • Options
    This article on work experience might help you out with some tips.
    :)
  • Options
    thing is i work in a nightclub, and see some horrible sights, and have to sort out some hhorrible things

you will get over it though
  • Options
    I did one of mine at a vets and one at a pet shop, they were both fantastic experiences so i definetly recommend doing it. You could maybe go to a school in the physchology department or maybe a college or university fashion design??