Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ethernet Camera Trouble

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Having trouble with a D-Link DCS-900 Fast Ethernet camera. Anyone here had any experience with this bit of kit?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What trouble are you having, exactly? It just doesn't work, or it works incorrectly?
    It's not like your usual webcam: it's intended for internal use only, I think (or at least that's the feeling i'm getting).

I can't get it to publish web cam images to the 'net for people to see.

It requires a login (which I don't want to give out to people, plus having to ask people to log in is a bit tedious any time they want to see the webcam).

I think I'm gonna send it back...s'not really what I needed.
    The streaming is a function of your software though, not the camera itself.

You can probably get other software.
    No, the camera is an Ethernet cam, not a USB or similar. Software isn't as common as standard webcam stuff.

Never mind: I'm getting rid of it.
    do you fancy selling it? I'm after a network camera for my place of work as the chav influx has reached an all time high.

let me know
    Ethernet cameras are excellent! I got 2 or 3 on my desk at work and they're SO much better than USB stuff in terms of quality, software, functionality and control
    noog wrote:
    do you fancy selling it? I'm after a network camera for my place of work as the chav influx has reached an all time high.

let me know

Sorry mate: we've sent it back already! Try eBuyer - that's where we got ours.

They are indeed particularly useful for internal (over LAN/WAN) use, but the problem with ours is that it wouldn't publish images to the Internet for the public to see without the user needing to log in to see them.

My fault really: shoulda checked the description fully.
    Chem:Lab wrote:
    Sorry mate: we've sent it back already! Try eBuyer - that's where we got ours.

They are indeed particularly useful for internal (over LAN/WAN) use, but the problem with ours is that it wouldn't publish images to the Internet for the public to see without the user needing to log in to see them.

My fault really: shoulda checked the description fully.

You should have been able to given a correct setup. Ah well, they're back now.
    No: I actually ended up calling D-Link customer services and asking them outright whether it could publish to the Internet for public access, and they said no.

Plus I've re-read the description on eBuyer - it doesn't state it very clearly there either. Oh well!