Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Would you say yes?

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Mist wrote:
    Depends where you would draw the line, but I spent a lot more than would be considered a healthy amount of time getting pissed, regardless of whether I really wanted to or not, so I would say yes.

So you were once an alcoholic then?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    Now, whenever anybody at work goes for a cig all I can smell when they get back is the smoke.

I'd agree with that comment, being a smoker I can still smell if someone has been for a fag. I can also walk into a room and smell stale smoke and your right it does stink..............but i still cant stop :(
    Mist wrote:
    It's not "bollocks". People can give up smoking. People can give up whatever they desire to give up. The stronger the chemical then the harder it might be, but it is still possible.

But to say that simply "hard work" will break an addiction is hopelessly naive at best, really. You need hard work and dedication to do it, I quite agree, but it isn't the only thing required.

The implication in your comments that people who can't manage to do something are "not trying hard enough" is rather very patronising too, I'd reckon.
    Kermit wrote:
    The implication in your comments that people who can't manage to do something are "not trying hard enough" is rather very patronising too, I'd reckon.

This is the issue I have.

I havn't denied that it can't be done just that this 'you obvioulsy havn't tried' attitude is absolute bollocks.
    Weekender Offender 
    I didnt need hard work or dedication to give up smoking. I just did it. Its not hard. INfact it wa easy.
    minimi38 wrote:
    Its not hard.

For you maybe it wasn't.
    Givign up is different for everybody.
    Weekender Offender 
    Kermit wrote:
    But to say that simply "hard work" will break an addiction is hopelessly naive at best, really. You need hard work and dedication to do it, I quite agree, but it isn't the only thing required.

Ahh well, reckon whatever you like.

The idea is that people often stick with the easy option. A lot of people don't try hard enough, because they don't want to. Of course some people just can't do it on their own, that's why there exist a plethora of support options, that a lot of people don't investigate. You might think that that's being patronising. Personally I think that it's the truth.
    Skive wrote:
    So you were once an alcoholic then?

Aye.
    minimi38 wrote:
    I didnt need hard work or dedication to give up smoking. I just did it. Its not hard. INfact it wa easy.
    Doesn't mean it is easy for everybody, though.
    minimi38 wrote:
    Its not hard.

One word reply to that...................BULLSHIT
    giving up might be really hard, but it's not impossible.

and believing that it is is the only thing that will make it so.
    Mist wrote:
    Of course some people just can't do it on their own, that's why there exist a plethora of support options, that a lot of people don't investigate.

And I know several people who've done every thing going and still couldn't quit.

So it goes, eh? They should try a bit harder :|
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    One word reply to that...................BULLSHIT

I've seen people give up with ease too. Eveybody's different.
    Weekender Offender 
    kaffrin wrote:
    giving up might be really hard, but it's not impossible.

and believing that it is is the only thing that will make it so.

Exactly. Which is half of what I am trying to put across. Approaching giving up with an attitude of "giving up is impossible, I'll never be able to do it" is a self-fullfilling prophecy.

kermit wrote:
    And I know several people who've done every thing going and still couldn't quit.

So it goes, eh? They should try a bit harder :|

Yep..
    Skive wrote:
    Eveybody's different.

Exactly, so that does not give people the right to come out with it is easy...for the majority of people its fookin hard so lets not get into the "Its easy " crap.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    Exactly, so that does not give people the right to come out with it is easy...for the majority of people its fookin hard so lets not get into the "Its easy " crap.

I don't think anyone has actually said it is easy though ...
    while we are talking about an addiction...has anyone ever watched thier mates search the floor for bits of crack they might have dropped after a session? i have its fucking hilarious. like jesus christ you have finished it get over it.
    I don't think anyone has actually said it is easy though ...

i did, sorry
    minimi38 wrote:
    while we are talking about an addiction...has anyone ever watched thier mates search the floor for bits of crack they might have dropped after a session? i have its fucking hilarious. like jesus christ you have finished it get over it.

I can't say I have really. Mind you most of my mates don't take crack these days.
    minimi38 wrote:
    while we are talking about an addiction...has anyone ever watched thier mates search the floor for bits of crack they might have dropped after a session?

I smoke crack every now and again but you can be sure that I'd never let any get on the floor in the first place. :yum:
    Weekender Offender 
    I would BUt it For Them if they were fourteen but any younger then id say get to fuk.
    Skive wrote:
    I smoke crack every now and again but you can be sure that I'd never let any get on the floor in the first place. :yum:

I would agree with this in regard to drugs, most people I have known have been incredibly anal about not letting any of it get anywhere near the floor.
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Skive wrote:
    Well he'd have to be under 16 you dopey cunt otherwise he would have asked you to buy them in the first place.
    Obviously where you come from there aren't people who look younger than their age.

And please, if you must try and insult my intelligence, don't resort to such vulgar swearing.
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    Obviously where you come from there aren't people who look younger than their age.

:yeees:

Your so full of shit.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    :yeees:

Your so full of shit.
    The word 'Irony' comes to mind.
    The first three days of giving up smoking are the worst...that is the point at which your body craves them the most. Make it past those three days and you should be able to give up smoking...

I used to smoke.
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    The word 'Irony' comes to mind.

You seriously telling me that there were these 'little chavs' hanging around outside the shop who asked you to buy fags for them despite the fact they were 16 or older?
    You then bought the fags, left the shop and walked right passed him?

:lol:

I'm sure I'm not the only who thinks this is bullshit.
    Weekender Offender 
    1 chav, that was no taller than 5foot 5. Hardly a threat.

Laugh as much as you like Skive, for frankly, I couldn't care any less than I do right now.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    No, I only buy stuff for me and my freinds. Anyone else can get raped.
    when i was 13,i used to get older people to go and get my fags for me,never got told to fuck off.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Anyone else can get raped.
    What a vulgar turn of phrase.

For anyone thinking about giving up the dreaded weed, click here:

Giveupsmoking.co.uk