Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Would you say yes?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd say no, I'm not going to be held responsible for a couple of kids getting absolutely wankered on a bottle of vodka. I admitt that they want to have fun etc but getting smashed out of your face at the age of 13...That's just silly. I get asked to buy kids cigarettes, these kids are like 10...i tell them no, and if they kick off i just laugh at them.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Smoking is a disgusting habit.
    Weekender Offender 
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Skive wrote:
    Smoking is a disgusting habit.

Ok then, I'm not trying to be a smart arse when I ask this but why do you smoke if you say this yourself? I am curious ...
    Ok then, I'm not trying to be a smart arse when I ask this but why do you smoke if you say this yourself? I am curious ...
    My older sister and her bloke say it too.

They know that it's bad and they want to quit, but the addiction thing. They've been smoking since before they cared how bad it was for them (my cousin gave my sister her first cigarette when she was like 12/13), and now they're addicted and want to stop but can't.

They know they're being hypocritical when they tell me not to, but it's for my own good I guess. Not that I listen to them...it's my body that I'm fucking up and I know what I'm doing to it, and I still don't wanna stop.

I've done half the drugs under the suyn but the only thing I ever doing is staring to smoke.
    Weekender Offender 
    My older sister and her bloke say it too.

They know that it's bad and they want to quit, but the addiction thing. They've been smoking since before they cared how bad it was for them (my cousin gave my sister her first cigarette when she was like 12/13), and now they're addicted and want to stop but can't.

See, I don't buy any of this "I just can't stop" malarky. I have never smoked but I have seen people who smoke 20/30 even 40 a day give up. There is plenty of support out there for those who want to give up, ranging from help from their GP to phonelines and the likes. I personally believe that if they *really* wanted to give up, they would. I am not saying that it would be easy as it is certainly no walk in the park but they would certainly have a bit more willpower.
    See, I don't buy any of this "I just can't stop" malarky.

Then you should shut up.
    Giving up is going to different for everybody.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    Then you should shut up.
    A bit blunter than I would have put it, but same as what I'd have said really.
    Skive wrote:
    Then you should shut up.

I am not denying that but I still don't buy it. Sorry, I just don't agree with you.
    my mum has been smoking for 35 years, and claims she can't give up. i might believe her, except that she stopped totally for a year when she was pregnant with my brother and when he was tiny, and then again with me. and then again a few years ago when my brother's girl was pregnant.

surely if she couldn't stop, she wouldn't have been able to stop those times?
    I am not denying that but I still don't buy it. Sorry, I just don't agree with you.

Having never suffered a nicotine addiction what would you know?
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:

But having seen a lot of people I love and care about fighting, suffering and getting ill (even dying) from a nicotine addiction I feel slightly qualified to give my personal opinion.
    Skive wrote:

Standard cop-out answer.

People can give up cigarettes. People who say they "just can't" are being defeatest, and half of them truely don't want to. If it was impossible to escape then noone would give up.

There's any number of support groups, ranging from free to paid for type help. A lot of people say they can't give up without even trying any of the help.
    Mist wrote:
    People can give up cigarettes

Like alcoholics can give up drinking ?

Packing in aint that easy, thats why we have thousands of smokers who cannot quit.just like myself a couple of months ago.
    BeckyBoo wrote:

If they really want to, then yes. They can.

They need to *want* to though. That is the difference.
    If they really want to, then yes. They can.

They need to *want* to though. That is the difference.

I desperately wanted to pack the fags in, but again its not that simple especially if you have been a smoker for a long time.
    BeckyBoo wrote:

Packing in aint that easy, thats why we have thousands of smokers who cannot quit.just like myself a couple of months ago.

Well I managed to give up drinking. I also think that most people can give up something if they try hard enough. The reason there are thousands of people who do not become ex-smokers is because they just don't try, they have already consigned themselves to not being able to give up, so they don't bother.
    Mist wrote:
    Standard cop-out answer.

It's true though.
    It'a amazing how many people who have never smoked rant on about giving up smoking.
    There is no substitute for experience.

As I said before giving up is going to be different for everybody.
    Once an addict always an addict.
    Weekender Offender 
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    I desperately wanted to pack the fags in, but again its not that simple especially if you have been a smoker for a long time.

I am not saying that it is simple though. I never once said that it was easy to give up smoking. I just believe that you really, truly have to want to give up smoking and that is the first step. There is *sooo* much support out there for smokers, however, they need to hve the willpower to do it. And I do believe that everyone has the willpower if that is what they really want.
    Mist wrote:
    Well I managed to give up drinking.

Were you an alcoholic?

Were talking baout strong physical addictions here - not whether you can pass on on beer at the weekend.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:

Again i am not going to disagree with you but I do think that if you really want to give up, you will find the willpower and support to do so. Simple as.

With regards to your final sentence - my mother was a smoker for about 30 years. She gave up 10 years ago and still craves a cigarette sometimes. But the reason she doesn't light up is because she doesn't want to.
    Skive wrote:
    It's true though.
    It'a amazing how many people who have never smoked rant on about giving up smoking.
    There is no substitute for experience.

It's amazing how people presume so much. Such as what I have or have not smoked. Oh well.

Of course everyone is different, that's a given, but a lot of smokers consider giving up as something that they can't do without even trying, which is disappointing.

As to whether someone remains addicted, well, that depends on your perspective. For me, if there is something that I was once addicted to and now would not do again, then I don't consider myself addicted to that thing any more. That's a defeatist attitude, it's saying "I will never be rid of this addiction". If you think that, then it would be no wonder that you can't give something up.
    Skive wrote:
    Were you an alcoholic?

Were talking baout strong physical addictions here - not whether you can pass on on beer at the weekend.

Depends where you would draw the line, but I spent a lot more than would be considered a healthy amount of time getting pissed, regardless of whether I really wanted to or not, so I would say yes.
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Skive wrote:
    Stealing off kids - whatever stupid sterotype they belong to - is fucking cuntish.
    I said he was small, not young.

And people shouldn't be smoking anyway. Not meaning to preach.
    Skive wrote:
    You can combat the smell of smoke easilly with gum or a adequate amount of after shave.

My missus who doesn't smoke is always commenting on how nice I smell. Is she lying?

No, she's grown tolerant to it.

When I lived at home I couldn't smell cig smoke very much, because my mum smoked and I got tolerant to the smell and didn't notice it.

Now, whenever anybody at work goes for a cig all I can smell when they get back is the smoke. I can smell the smoke in a pub- even if there's only one or two smokers.

It's not exactly a nice smell, either.
    Mist wrote:
    I also think that most people can give up something if they try hard enough.

And I think that is bollocks, to be quite fair- giving up an addiction only happens through hard work, but simply working hard isn't enough in a lot of cases. Which is why I still get the urge to carve my arm open, for instance.
    Mist wrote:
    It's amazing how people presume so much. Such as what I have or have not smoked. Oh well.

I didn't presume anything about anybody. :confused:
    Mist wrote:
    Of course everyone is different, that's a given, but a lot of smokers consider giving up as something that they can't do without even trying, which is disappointing.

Just because someone has been able to give up doesn't mean they havn't tried.
    Mist wrote:
    That's a defeatist attitude

Again it's true.
    An alcoholic will always have a alcohol addiction. That is why a reformed alcoholic will never be able to drink a drop again.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    Rubbish.

You can tell smokers by their skin. Maybe no when their young but when their older, 30ish you can tell.
    Skive wrote:
    Stealing off kids - whatever stupid sterotype they belong to - is fucking cuntish.

True, but then it would hopefully have taught him a very useful life lesson, which is not to give money to strange men.
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    I said he was small, not young.

Well he'd have to be under 16 you dopey cunt otherwise he would have asked you to buy them in the first place.
    Weekender Offender 
    Kermit wrote:

And I think that is bollocks, to be quite fair- giving up an addiction only happens through hard work, but simply working hard isn't enough in a lot of cases. Which is why I still get the urge to carve my arm open, for instance.

Getting an urge to do something doesn't mean that you can't or haven't given it up.

It's not "bollocks". People can give up smoking. People can give up whatever they desire to give up. The stronger the chemical then the harder it might be, but it is still possible.