Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

miserable at home or miserable at boarding school?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
hi! ok here whats on my mind. i have a really mean dad, everyone says hes abusive but i guess i dont really see it like that cuz ive grown up with it-i just think hes mean.

lately its been getting harder for me to cope because i have so much going on and i really long to live without the fear of my father. i was going to move back to england (it where im from originally)to live with my aunt but i just found out shes getting a divorce and doesnt know where shell be or if shell have enough room for me.

my mom says shell get another job and pay for me to go to boarding school so i can leave- but that makes me feel so incredibly selfish! i dont want to tell her "yes, you slave so i can be happy"....another thing is boarding school seems so scary to me. i feel like i wont be smart enough, people will dislike me, plus i have this stupid american accent which makes me feel like eveyone will think im an ignorant prick- which ironically enough, was a very ignorant statement.

i dont know what to do. im so unhappy here and i need to get out but i feel like im deserting my mom if i do. she says shell leave after me but i dont know if shes strong enough. i dont know if im strong enough to go to a boarding school all by myself.

i need some information but i cant find much other tham the boarding schools websites and they dont give too much detail. i just wanna know what other kids think of it....so if there are any kids at boarding school here id be much appreciative!...though i doubt it.

oh well. at least i got it all off my chest!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tbh, British people in general, dislike the american administration if they care, and Brits in general LOVE american accents and american people when they get to meet them. It was the same the other way round for me, when I went to work in canada, they couldn't get over how cool my accent was when I spoke english, so it was ok that I wasn't very good at french.

Boarding school can be very scary, but if you go willing to make friends then I have no doubt that you will, your own attitude can make the same place two very different things.
    Brits in general LOVE american accents
    :yes: we do :thumb:

tbh though it sounds as though your mum only wants whats best for you - she has your best interests at heart. and going off to boarding school can be a hell of a scary thing to do, i had a friend who did it. but like Fiend85 said your own attitude to the experience is the key as to whether you find it ok or not.
    also, although you might be scared of it now; may be it could be good for you or provide you with more stability than you are getting at home with your "abusive" father.
    i know how people usually feel about americans, to be honest i feel the same way- i thank gosh everyday i was raised by a british family and traveled instead being brought up believing "TheOC" was real.

i usually make friends pretty easily, im shy but easy to talk to and because of that i tend to develop really special friendships instead of fake ones. so maybe boarding school would be a good option.

its just hard because if i go and i dont like it, i cant come back or anything-i guess its only a year though and thats not too long.

i dont know, think im gunna have to go to my nearest bar and have the drunk old man in the corner listen to my problems.lol. or some other kind of constructive release.
    Boarding school can be brilliant fun and a very supportive environment to be in...

But it depends on the school I suppose.
    A year isn't so long. And even the shyest people can make some really good friends
    thank you so much, youre all too sweet.
    Tullia wrote:
    youre all too sweet.
    Enough of that American rubbish.

Get yourself back to Blighty for a decent boarding school education.
    lol, so says my mother.
    she's clearly a bright woman, are you going to?
    Boarding school wasn't so bad for me. And I went to one of England's quinessential public schools.

It's very character building. As Evelyn Waugh said, the only people who are truly prepared for prison are those who went to boarding school.
    yeah, i guess i'll do it. hey if i dont like it ill come back right? well thats if the boarding school even lets me in this late....most of em are booked up.

if not ill go back to my original plan: go to england,get a job, go to college, stay with family, and find the perfect english gentlemen....i hope they don't accept me! ;)