Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

State of Florida prevents girl from having abortion

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermy, Jeb Bush and all other tyranny-minded neocons care about this girl and other exploitable sheeple like her merely for the platform it provides them to further entrench their popularity with mindless fundamentalists - who respect the Constitution and Bill of Rights about as much as they actually adhere to the teachings of Christ.
    minimi38 wrote:
    She will probably get her abortion after an appeal.

I hope it's soon. The longer time goes on, the more likely she'll need a 2 stage procedure, which is very unpleasant for all involved.
    minimi38 wrote:
    Apparently the judge made that ruling to spite the state department who took such bad care of her. This isn't a judge with a conservative agenda.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/04/30/State/Pregnant_girl_s_DCF_c.shtml

She will probably get her abortion after an appeal.
    What a twat though, people's lives are not the way to make a political point
    You expect wanton criminals, concerned only with their own power and further enrichment, to care one whiff whether it's a legitimate way to make a point? They are being allowed by the public to get away with it, so expect it to continue and increase.
    This isnt some religious head case like Jeb Bush and Co. Ok what he done may have been not in the interests of the girl (but maybe it will give the DCF a kick in the arse), i agree. Also there is a law saying a state organisation cannot consent to a child having an abortion, so its already in law.

Again, this isnt some pro-life conservative judge.

"A county judge has thrown out an abortion 'right-to-know' law in Florida, only a few days after a US appeals court re-instated a similar law in Indiana [see digest for 17 September]. So-called right-to-know or informed consent laws require women to be offered information on abortion and its alternatives before giving final consent to the operation. Judge Ronald Alvarez ruled that Florida's law was unconstitutional because it infringed on a woman's right "to receive her physician's opinion as to what is best for her considering her particular circumstances". Also this week, six abortion facilities in Alabama filed a federal lawsuit against that state's informed consent law, while pro-abortionists in Indiana are considering whether to take their battle over the law to the US Supreme Court."
    minimi38 wrote:

Jeb Bush - "Theres no good news at all"

:rolleyes:

So having the child would have been better for her? I despair I really do.
    Florida Governor Jeb Bush said the state would not fight the judge's decision, but expressed sadness about the situation.

"It's a tragedy that a 13-year-old child would be in a vulnerable position where she could be made pregnant and it's a tragedy that her baby will be lost.

"There's no good news in this at all,"

Which seems like a fair summing up of the situation by me...
    Why is it indefensible?

She is a silly girl for getting pregneant at 13 and frankly deserves to have the kid.

Sound like a petty and nasty attitude to have toward some kid who just made a mistake thats all :no:
    NQA wrote:
    "There's no good news in this at all,"

Yeah, and forcing a 13 year old to carry a pregnancy to term against her will would have been cause for celebration.

I just hope everything goes smoothly for L.G so she can put this behind her and get on with her life.
    go_away wrote:
    Yeah, and forcing a 13 year old to carry a pregnancy to term against her will would have been cause for celebration.

Er did I say that?

A 13 year old in care becoming pregnant is bad news whether she kept the baby or not. As JB said 'It's a tragedy that a 13-year-old child would be in a vulnerable position where she could be made pregnant' or do you disagree?
    No, you didn't, I just quoted your quote.
    'It's a tragedy that a 13-year-old child would be in a vulnerable position where she could be made pregnant'

Of course it is. I had a 15 year old girl in for a consultation - absolutely hysterical because she thought that the abortion process would be something out of Vera Drake. I held the hand of a 16 year old having a termination at 22 weeks, stroking her hair while her cervix is (painfully) being prepared with dilapan sticks, and I've watched the face of a 15 year old literally go white as she's told that she's not only pregnant, but she is over 14 weeks pregnant with twins.

I wish these girls weren't so unlucky, but the reality is, they're having sex, and there's very little people can do about that, except educate them and arm them with facts so they can make the decisions for themselves.

But L.G is in the US, a country whose main focus of sex education is abstinence-only, where funds go towards 'chastity events' and programmes such as AIDS prevention are cancelled. Where teachers face lawsuits and textbooks are censored. And the people most likely to suffer are the students. 88% of students who pledge to wait until they marry will engage in pre marital sex, and rates of STIs are just as high as those who don't because they never thought they would be in a situation where they need condoms.

L.Gs case is sadly, the tip of the iceberg. The facts remain that the US has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in the developed world, and that American adolescents are contracting HIV faster than any other demographic group. And *that's* a tragedy.
    go_away wrote:
    But L.G is in the US, a country whose main focus of sex education is abstinence-only, where funds go towards 'chastity events' and programmes such as AIDS prevention are cancelled. Where teachers face lawsuits and textbooks are censored. And the people most likely to suffer are the students. 88% of students who pledge to wait until they marry will engage in pre marital sex, and rates of STIs are just as high as those who don't because they never thought they would be in a situation where they need condoms.

L.Gs case is sadly, the tip of the iceberg. The facts remain that the US has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in the developed world, and that American adolescents are contracting HIV faster than any other demographic group. And *that's* a tragedy.

:thumb:

Excellent reply.
    go_away wrote:
    No, you didn't, I just quoted your quote.

Of course it is. I had a 15 year old girl in for a consultation - absolutely hysterical because she thought that the abortion process would be something out of Vera Drake. I held the hand of a 16 year old having a termination at 22 weeks, stroking her hair while her cervix is (painfully) being prepared with dilapan sticks, and I've watched the face of a 15 year old literally go white as she's told that she's not only pregnant, but she is over 14 weeks pregnant with twins.

I wish these girls weren't so unlucky, but the reality is, they're having sex, and there's very little people can do about that, except educate them and arm them with facts so they can make the decisions for themselves.

round of applause, you really put it well.

also just for the record, lets not forget that not every unwanted pregnancy is the result of contraception not being used.