Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Wrist bandage

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it doesn't HAVE to be. like i said, the charity gets its money either way. it's supposed to be though, and i'd like to think that at least some people in the world give entirely because they want to help.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    kaffrin wrote:
    it's supposed to be though,

But why is it?
    Does it make you a 'better person'?
    kaffrin wrote:
    and i'd like to think that at least some people in the world give entirely because they want to help.

Giving to charity is never a selfless act though. Most people give to charity because it's makes them feel good about themselves.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    But why is it?
    Does it make you a 'better person'?

who gives a fuck what it makes you? it helps people that need help.

say there are two people, person A and person B. person A is financially comfortable. person B is destitute.

what if person A gave person B some of their money? and what if they gave it because they had it to spare, and person B didn't. What if they wanted t help simply because they could. not because they wanted people to think of them as generous. not because they wanted to be a good person. not because it made them feel guilty not to. what then?

don't you think those people exist?
    At the end of the day if the charity is getting money then it's a good thing. These bands have raised money for a lot of charities - ignore for a second all the counterfeit ones on ebay. Compare the profit they would have made with no bands compared to the profit they did make because of the bands.

Someone said something to me the other day, that a good act is supposed to be selfless in order to be good. My response was that nobody is perfect, but if the good act is done, showing off about it isn't really hurting anyone. Imagine if everyone in the country gave 5% of their earnings to charity and then went off down the pub and showed off about it. And even better; they got praised for it! "Nice one mate, let me buy you a drink."

Etc etc. I think, from my perspective, it seems like a competition to a lot of people. I've only met a few americans in my life, but they give a lot more to charity than we do of their own accord but they also show off about all manner of things. I am a strong beleiver that too many people are modest these days. If someone does something good they should be praised, as it encourages them to do it more.
    If someone does something good they should be praised, as it encourages them to do it more.

True, and that can only ever be a good thing.
    great in theory, and while it lasts. but if the praise stops, will they keep giving? not really a good value to instill in people, i don't think.

then again, considering how this thread's gone, maybe i am wrong, and people DO need to be bribed to give. if that's true, then the world is sadder than i thought.
    kaffrin wrote:
    then again, considering how this thread's gone, maybe i am wrong, and people DO need to be bribed to give. if that's true, then the world is sadder than i thought.

I think that a lot of people crave recognition for their "good deeds", and that that is quite sad.
    kaffrin wrote:
    who gives a fuck what it makes you? it helps people that need help.

Exactly.
    Weekender Offender 
    kaffrin wrote:
    and people DO need to be bribed to give. if that's true, then the world is sadder than i thought.
    they do, Thats why charity shops work, becuase people dont always just want to give if theyre not getting something for it. It may be slightly sad, but its hardly something to get worked up about. its better to give and get recognition, than not to give at all.
    its better to give and get recognition, than not to give at all.
    :D:yes: i agree
    It may be slightly sad, but its hardly something to get worked up about. its better to give and get recognition, than not to give at all.

i'm more concerned that people think it's perfectly fine to only help other people out when there's something in it for them.

the charities do what they have to to maximise profits. my beef is not with them.
    Good people donate money because they are good people. There is no other incentive, either public or personal.

Other people donate because they want to make themselves feel like they're generous, or they want everyone else to know they are generous.

Most people are a mixture of the two. I donate money to BHF and to CHUF at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle because I want to donate money to a good cause, but I chose those two charities because they have saved the life of GWST's sister on numerous occasions, and still continue to do so. Others choose CRUK, or whoever, for similar reasons.

Anonymous benefactors are better than those who scream "look at me! aren't I good!", though, and I can't believe people are trying to dispute this.
    Kermit wrote:
    Anonymous benefactors are better than those who scream "look at me! aren't I good!", though, and I can't believe people are trying to dispute this.

Hmm. There's no inate reason why that should be though. If two people give equally to the same charity, one says nothing and the other tells all and sundry that he has given to a charity, that doesn't make the quiet person "better". It makes no difference to the funds that the charity gets.

For me, the only problem I see is that if someone is wearing a band (that is intended) to show support for a charity and has never actually given anything to the charity, then that's wrong, but if people actually have given to a charity then personally I see nothing wrong with saying so.
    Mist wrote:
    Hmm. There's no inate reason why that should be though. If two people give equally to the same charity, one says nothing and the other tells all and sundry that he has given to a charity, that doesn't make the quiet person "better". It makes no difference to the funds that the charity gets.

It doesn't make them a better donor but it does make them a better person, IMHO.

Donation shouldn't be done for the sake of public gratitude and acknoledgement, but everyone would rather people donated and made a song and dance about it than they didn't donate at all.
    But if people donate then make a song and dance about it ... other people therefore hear about it and might be inspired to donate themselves!! This then provides the charity with more money.

Anonymous benefactors get to feel good about the fact that they donated and didn't want recognition ... but that's where it ends.

It's a difficult argument and one where I don't really know where I stand. I'm just kind of playing devil's advocate with my replies because I honestly want to know what people think.
    Good donors and good people are not the same thing.

A man who donates £1million of his multi-billion fortune is a better donor than the bloke who gives his last quid, but I know who the better man is.
    Skive wrote:
    But why is it?

I'm sure you don't really care, but biblically speaking you're never supposed to boast about the works that you've done.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I'm sure you don't really care, but biblically speaking you're never supposed to boast about the works that you've done.

I don't live by some words in some old book.
    Weekender Offender 
    I know.
    I own a MakePovertyHistory one(white), a PDSA ones(blue), A british heart foundation one(red) and a breast cancer one(pink). But thats only because I went to find the white one at the weekend and noticed all the charity shops doing these others so bought one. They're on my bed post. :thumb:
    where did you get a brith heart foundation one? is it genuine?
    Wisecrack wrote:
    where did you get a brith heart foundation one? is it genuine?

ETA: Totally read that wrong. Got it from the heart foundation shops and its got the heart foundation sign on with 'Feel the pulse'.
    Make Poverty History (white) and Loughborough For Life (it's the rag one, purple)
    All the charities that have wrist bands are obviously getting a bit more money than they would before, but the companies who are producing the "fashion bands" are in the wrong bcos they are cashing in on money that should be going to charity!!
    I own a pink one - breast cancer, a lime green one - Ian Rennie Hospice at Home and a yellow one. They are all genuine ones, and they are all for charities (except the yellow one) that i support anyway. I just saw it as a different way to support these charities. If the British Diabetic Association brought out a band, then i would get that as well (if they have, i haven't found one), as that is another charity that is close to my heart. I personally dont see the point in buying fake ones.
    I have a livestrong one and one against racism. I did have a beat the bully but a relative took it and sold it on for a fiver.