Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Spider Spray?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
that time is upon me again *sighs* spider season, after a particuarly unfortunate incident today (saw 3) id like to know is there anywhere i can purchase a spider deterrent? or spidercide? I mean, they must have something?
Please Help!!
xxx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i didnt know you could get this stuff, i'd like to know too. bloody hate them things
    koe_182 wrote:
    i didnt know you could get this stuff, i'd like to know too. bloody hate them things
    the must do really, In australia and places

was walking my dogs in the field near my house and two were on my shoe, then saw another one when i was running home, had to strip as soon as i got in and shook out all my shoes and clothes :crying:

fucking hate them :(
    i hate em too....

when i was younger i was washing my face and i put the hand towel upto my face and a spider about the size of my hand (at the time) was on the towel looking straight back at me. i screamed and ran out the bathroom.... :no: was a horrible incident
    also before anyone says 'search for it' i dont want to incase pictures of spiders pops up :scared:

i know why im so scared-in my first summer at school the classroom doors were open so i stick my hand out and straight into a nest of the bastards, with them all running over my hand and arm, also my brother had a spider book and used to bully me into touching pictures of them :(
    Char_Baby wrote:
    also before anyone says 'search for it' i dont want to incase pictures of spiders pops up :scared:

i know why im so scared-in my first summer at school the classroom doors were open so i stick my hand out and straight into a nest of the bastards, with them all running over my hand and arm, also my brother had a spider book and used to bully me into touching pictures of them :(
    :shocking: :eek: :yuck: :crazyeyes :nervous: Thats horrible... gives me shivers
    i hate them also!
    i moved the shower curtain 2 day and there was a huge 1 there. my bro tried to move it and it bit him. so i tried to drown it with the shower and it started swimming, it was weird and scary! err
    bro tried to move it and it bit him.

They bite!?!?!?! :nervous:
    Fish_food wrote:
    some do :scared:
    I think most insecticide sprays would probably work on spiders too.
    Are you thinking of carrying a can round with you to kill any old spider you see in the wild, or just ones in your house?
    I think most insecticide sprays would probably work on spiders too.
    Are you thinking of carrying a can round with you to kill any old spider you see in the wild, or just ones in your house?
    i was thinking of spraying my house and taking a can to work

last year we had an unfortunate incident with a spider in a till *shudders*
    Murderous instincts still alive and well in Portsmouth, I see. :no:

;)
    bad seed wrote:
    Murderous instincts still alive and well in Portsmouth, I see. :no:

;)
    4-1

speaks for itself ;)
    Fish_food wrote:
    taken from a page I wont link to because it has lots of pics of spiders, which you might not appreciate :)
    "
    Spider Bites
    All spiders bite and nearly all inject venom into their prey, but the fangs of the vaste majority of species are too small to penetrate human skin and very few will bite man, even when severely provoked. Of the 35,000 or so species throughout the world, about 500 are known to cause painful bites in humans, but only about a dozen of these spiders are highly venomous. The species which are particularly dangerous to man are largely confined to warmer parts of the world, although their common names will be familiar to most people. For example, the venomous bites of the black widows or red-back spiders (Latrodectus) and the Australian funnel-web spiders (Atrax) are well known, since both can be fatal in some circumstances. Likewise, the Brazilian wandering spider (Phoneutria) has a dangerous reputation as a very aggressive species with an extremely painful bite. Few, if any, of the spiders found in temperate regions are particularly venomous or likely to bite. Among the native spiders of Britain and northern Europe, for example, there are only one or two species that require some caution if handled. The water spider (Argyroneta) can give a fairly painful bite, but usually this is much less severe than the bites and stings of many common insects. Somewhat unpleasant bite wounds can also be inflicted by the larger species of Cheiracanthium and Steatoda. The latter species is often found in and around house and other buildings.

Just to note, The Cheiracanthium isnt found in Britain, and the Steatoda although has been found in this country, there are only 5 recorded instances of it, so hardly cause for concern.
    As they said, all of them can bite, but most of them wont, and even if they tried, hardly any of them can penetrate human skin, for what thats worth.
    Bloody hell, your incidents alone are enough to make me more scared of spiders. We have this big bugger outside one of those non opening windows in my house, he/she has a big web! Scares me to death thinking it could creep in one night.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Am interested to see what people suggest with this one. I am really awful when it comes to spiders. I scream like a big girl and run from a room, screaming for David to come and remove it (yes, I am crap).

The other week I was putting new sheets on the bed and this heeeuuuge one crawled out from the bedsheets. I screamed and refused to go back in the room (let alone go to bed) until it had been captured.

I hate them with such a passion :(
    mmm i just step on them(with a shoe on ofcourse), just i hate the mess that they make. Or if its a real big one I get the spray and gas it.
    GINGA wrote:
    We have this big bugger outside one of those non opening windows in my house, he/she has a big web! Scares me to death thinking it could creep in one night.
    Yes, just in case it manages to crowbar open the non-opening window, or it could remove the putty and then gently remove the glass.

seriously, its a non opening window. Itll stay outside.
    Yes, just in case it manages to crowbar open the non-opening window, or it could remove the putty and then gently remove the glass.

seriously, its a non opening window. Itll stay outside.
    I have my open window like 4 meters away! I'm just a sitting duck.
    GINGA wrote:
    I have my open window like 4 meters away! I'm just a sitting duck.
    Have you thought about getting a window cleaner to do the windows from the outside, and get rid of the web while hes at it, since its bothering you.
    The chances are it will want to stay outside though, as it will be able to catch far more insects out there than it will inside the house. Garden spiders are called garden spiders cos they prefer it in the garden, and although they can grow quite big and look a bit scary, theyre harmless.
    Nah this aint your usual spider you find here, he/she is a shiny and got a bit of yellow or brown not sure only comes out round dusk. Maybe a bird will get it soon. Oh once back when i was a kid i found this dead spider on my driveway, it had HUGE fangs, the kind you see on tv, it was definatly not native to switzerland. Had a nightmare about that.
    Spiders are lovely little harmless creatures.

You can off course get little traps for them so you only have to get within about a foot of them and then you can release them outside and away from you .
    Kazbo wrote:

You can off course get little traps for them so you only have to get within about a foot of them and then you can release them outside and away from you .
    nope i want them dead and not im my house :no:

so can anyone reccomend anything i can do?
    Squishing them with rolled up newspaper works well then :yes:
    Char_Baby wrote:

Here you get all sorts of sprays: anti insect/spider/cat.
    GINGA wrote:
    Here you get all sorts of sprays: anti insect/spider/cat.
    where from though? i never see spider repellant in shops!
    I get it in most supply stores, even in super markets and some alround stores. Keep in mind I'm in switzerland.
    I would feel really guilty if I killed spiders. I don't preach about animals rights but they're still living creatures. I was scared of spiderswhen I was a kid, so my mum, who loves them, bought be a tarantula when I was about 7 or 8 which I've had for 13 years now. It really helped me to overcome the fear, as we get loads of spiders in our house. I still don't like house spiders, but I wouldn't kill them.
    the Brazilian wandering spider (Phoneutria)

Seriously, spider and wandering should not appear in the same sentence... Where does it wander to?! :nervous:
    Kazbo wrote:

A Foot?!?! Is that it?!! No chance you'd get me a foot away from one!
    Char_Baby wrote:

Any aerosol will kill them, it damages their lungs and they asphyxiate, though i recommend hairspray as it works the best. Get a cat they eat spiders, get a hockey stick, long distance squishage.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Any aerosol will kill them, it damages their lungs and they asphyxiate, though i recommend hairspray as it works the best. Get a cat they eat spiders, get a hockey stick, long distance squishage.

My cat doesnt' she's scared of them :rolleyes: And my bro's cat seems to be too slow to kill them and ends up always losing them.
This discussion has been closed.