Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Wrist bandage

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    But if the charity offers this way of donating to them, then why is it "less effective" and "worse" than any other?

people run marathons for charity fundraising, all these people are not being "effective" and are "advertising" their support. So using this argument charity marathon runners are attention-seeking morons too.
    Go find someone who has had a friend or relative that's died of cancer and wears a Live Strong band to show support for survivor's and suffers, or find the charity that gives them out and tell them what you just said.
    How does it support sufferers by wearing a yellow band? :confused:

My objection to Livestrong is that the money goes straight over the pond when I'd rather people sent the money to their local hospice. That would make a difference to people dying of cancer and sending money to Cancer Research UK would help support research into cancer treatments.

Cancer Research UK - donate here

St Christopher's Hospice - donate here
    And FAO Kermit, IMHO I find smaller charities highly inefficient. Massive charities like Oxfam or the RNLI will have Chief Execs on handsome salaries but there are economies of scale in this type of work.
    There's a few problems really. The first problem is that people are selling the bands on Ebay. But that is because of the other problem, which is that the companies selling the bands online legitimatly don't sell them singularly, they sell them in packs of ten. Not everyone wants ten, they want one, so that means they have nine spare bands. Ridiculous.

I'm not quite sure why this argument keeps popping up and people react so fiercly to it. Yes, a whole load of people wear the bands purely out of fashion, but to be quite honest who's to say that any of those people would have given anything to the charities in the first place anyway? So the charity has not "lost out" there, so to speak, it just hasn't gained. (Though, at some point, someone has bought the bands so they have gained a little unless there are fake bands being made)

So I dunno. Is it defeating the point to wear one out of fashion? Yes, it is. Is that necessarily "wrong". No, not really, because there's no reason why that affects in any way the amount that those same people otherwise give to a charity.
    Mist wrote:
    Is it defeating the point to wear one out of fashion? Yes, it is. Is that necessarily "wrong". No, not really, because there's no reason why that affects in any way the amount that those same people otherwise give to a charity.
    I think the irritant factor is not the charity bit, it's the bandwagon bit.

Yes, the charity gains either way but charity cannot survive on fads, so if people were to genuinely support these charities they wouldn't need a wrist band as a reward for doing so.

Poppies are totally different.
    It is a bandwagon, and the charity doesn't benefit, but there's nothing to say that they would have benefited anyway, is my point. (or that they wont just because someone has a wristband).

It's all much of a muchness really. It's annoying, but say for every ten bands one is sold to a genuine person who would otherwise have given nothing then that is somewhat better than nothing.
    Kentish wrote:
    Poppies are totally different.

Why?

..... and what about the ribbons?

Surely the theory behind them all is the same. As for the bandwagon bit ... we started out with red ribbons for AIDS, then pink ones for Breast Cancer, and then any random ribbon that people want to bring out for whatever reason they fancy at the time.

Look at the BHF hearts that they used to bring out at Valentine's Day. They released a different one every year to ensure that people would want that years.

It's an old strategy that's just caught on slightly better this time.
    Mist wrote:
    It's all much of a muchness really. It's annoying, but say for every ten bands one is sold to a genuine person who would otherwise have given nothing then that is somewhat better than nothing.
    Possibly, but Africa has been neglected since the Tsunami, and I'm sure British cancer charities will have been neglected by the Livestrong phenomenon.
    Loopi wrote:
    Why?
    Because they are not worn or sold as fashion accessories. I personally find it a bit off to link the two actually.
    I dont see the point of buying fake anti cancer ones tbh. Ive never met anyone whos pro cancer, yet ive met loads of racists. I specifically wanted a non-nike anti racism band, for the same sort of reason someone might wear a slogan tshirt to advertise a cause they believe in.
    someone might wear a slogan tshirt to advertise a cause they believe in.
    But it's not like everyone has the same T-shirt and wears it all the time, is it?

How is your wrist band different from the Nike one, and how does it help to deracistify the racists you meet?
    I dont see the point of buying fake anti cancer ones tbh. Ive never met anyone whos pro cancer, yet ive met loads of racists. I specifically wanted a non-nike anti racism band, for the same sort of reason someone might wear a slogan tshirt to advertise a cause they believe in.
    I see your point. But like...I don't really see the point in the racism ones (or the bullying). Wearing a wristband isn't going to change how people think *really*. It may make them realise that what they think is bad, but if someone is prejudiced against someone else, seeing a wristband on your wrist isn't gonna make them think otherwise.
    Kentish wrote:
    But it's not like everyone has the same T-shirt and wears it all the time, is it?

How is your wrist band different from the Nike one, and how does it help to deracistify the racists you meet?
    It doesnt help much in the grand scheme of things, but I did want one, so I got one. My band is different to the nike one because i didnt give money to Nike when I bought it. I gave it to a random person. Id rather give it to anyone than nike tbh and I think theyre hypocrites to be the manufacters of the bracelets when they are such an exploitative company.
    I dont think my bracelet de-racifies people (good word btw) it is /neutral/poor at de-racification!
    It might show people that I am not a racist though, without me having to start a conversation about it, or it could even serve as a conversation starter in which I may change someones opinion - you never know.
    it could even serve as a conversation starter in which I may change someones opinion
    Has it?
    I see your point. But like...I don't really see the point in the racism ones (or the bullying). Wearing a wristband isn't going to change how people think *really*. It may make them realise that what they think is bad, but if someone is prejudiced against someone else, seeing a wristband on your wrist isn't gonna make them think otherwise.
    Well no, but I still dont want them to think I agree with them. This is just my way of silently telling people my view on a subject. Self expression. No more - no less, and because I just wear the one, i think it shows its a political statement rather than a fashion statement.
    Kentish wrote:
    Has it?
    not yet.
    Kentish wrote:

st. gemma's hospice - donate here ;)
    Kermit wrote:
    people run marathons for charity fundraising, all these people are not being "effective" and are "advertising" their support. So using this argument charity marathon runners are attention-seeking morons too.

i see what you're saying, but that's a bit different too. most charities work by aiming for maximum profit at minimum expenditure. so things like marathons are great, because it doesn't cost them anything for someone to run a marathon, and they get 100% of the profit. charity shops are also good, cause people donate things to sell, and volunteer their time, so their overheads are reduced. the bands aren't as good, cause they have to pay out to see a return on their cash, and a lot of the smaller, desperately needy charities (probably like CHUF) just can't afford to.
    Kentish wrote:
    Because they are not worn or sold as fashion accessories. I personally find it a bit off to link the two actually.
    I agree with you to a point but how many school kids do you know that buy poppies because they care about where their money is going? Mostly, they buy them cos their teachers make them feel guilty if they don't, or because all of their mates are wearing them and they don't want to be left out.

It's the same principle really.
    how do you know he doesn't? just cause he hasn't got a wristband per amount given? he wears one because, being a cyclist, he's been aware of lance armstrong and his situation for a long time. i don't have a problem with it because he doesn't sit back and think 'well, got my wristband, i've done my bit'. i know there will be others like him out of the people who wear them. i'm not saying 100% of the people who wear them are bad.

You've changed your tune. One minute you sound like your saying that their a bad thing and everyone who wears them do it for fashion, and your like, oh their ok blah blah blah. Make up your fucking mind for Christ sake.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I wanted to add my tuppence worth to this thread ...
    Skive wrote:
    Whether people are buying the bands for shallow reasons or not really doesn't bother me - the fact that they raise awareness and therefore more money is the most important thing here surely.

I don't think this is the case anymore to be honest. There are so many of the wristbands around for various things and stuff that I don't even know which colours are for what.

I work in a shop, with lots of people coming and going and every other person has a wristband on them. The only one that I know is the racism one. I don't know what the yellow one, or the pink one or any other ones are for.

So how is this raising awareness? It isn't IMO because there are so many different ones around that I can't actually tell which charities they are for now.
    It's not gonna turn into a bitchfest like all the other wristband threads have is it? :|
    It's not gonna turn into a bitchfest like all the other wristband threads have is it? :|
    It amuses me that people here are so passionate about these wristbands, one way or the other.

If only people were this enthused by the pensions crisis... :chin:
    Kentish wrote:
    It amuses me that people here are so passionate about these wristbands, one way or the other.

I know. And Kiezo isn't even here yet ...
    I know. And Kiezo isn't even here yet ...

Don't tempt fate...
    Kentish wrote:

hey, is there a pensions wristband? :hyper: :hyper:
    hey, is there a pensions wristband? :hyper: :hyper:

:lol:
    You've changed your tune. One minute you sound like your saying that their a bad thing and everyone who wears them do it for fashion,

where did i say that?

i asked you, on several occasions, why you needed the world to know, and if it mattered if no one knew you were giving. you still haven't answered.

if you stopped being so rude and answered my questions instead of just insulting me cause i don't agree, we might be able to have an adult conversation about it.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    kaffrin wrote:
    i asked you, on several occasions, why you needed the world to know, and if it mattered if no one knew you were giving. you still haven't answered.

It seems to me that your very happy to 'advertise' the fact that you give to charity without leeting the world know.

Hypocritical?
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    It seems to me that your very happy to 'advertise' the fact that you give to charity without leeting the world know.

where?

i think i've mentioned it on a couple of threads specifically about charities. i don't think that's quite the same, do you? is it something i should never mention ever?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Again why does giving to charity GOT to be a totally selfless act?
    Weekender Offender