Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Labret peircings,

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can anyone tell me, firstly do they hurt alot? and can they look good on guys, I am thinking about getting another peircing but it has to be on my head/above,

I dont want my ear done as i dont like it and i have my eyebrow already, I dont think i'd want my lip/nose so it'll be my labret, I'm just not sure if it'll look good on me.

but yes anyway can it look good on guys and whats the pain/ease in looking after a labret peircing?

Comments

• Options
    In short:

1) Not really
    2) Yes
    3) Pretty easy

Bit more depth:

1) Everyone's different. It didn't hurt me - more of a pinch than a pain. I've had my labret piercing 6 years, and it's fine.
    2) I'd not have got it done otherwise... ;)
    3) Simple to look after as it's easy to see in the mirror, and because of the nature of where it is (near the mouth) doesn't tend to get infected (unless you just leave it to get manky).
  • Options
    Still not sure if it'll look good on me...
  • Options
    I have one, was the least painful of all my piercings (i have multiple ears, cartilage, navel, had eyebrow)

If you look after it correctly it should heal fast

I really looked after mine. I changed my toothbrush soon as i got it done, i got antibacterial (non alcohol) mouthwash, and strepsils. I made my cleaning solution from pure sea salt and cheap bottled water which i boiled in a pan and added a recommended measured amount of sea salt. It all paid off.

As with any piercing if you dont look after it you will get problems. With an oral piercing its important to rinse your mouth out after eating, keep your teeth clean, as well as clean the piercing throughout twice daily. You also need to be prepared to swish salt water around your mouth which isnt the nicest thing to do

I think it looks good on some men and bad on others.

eta: mine was completely healed in about 5 weeks. I had mine done with a labret bar and had it changed to a shorter one after 2 weeks. The longer bar allows for any swelling but mine did not swell at all.
  • Options
    I dunno, looking at the picture in your sig your face is a bit erm babyish maybe?
    Ment in like a totally non mean way of course, maybe wait untill you are older.

And whatever you do don't get your nose done boys with nose peircings = :no:
  • Options
    I think it would suit you.

Ilora x
  • Options
    someone suggested to me getting my tongue done but arent they dangerous due to bleeding and sometimes it doesnt stop?
  • Options
    That's a bit of an exagerration.

The tongue piercing is a bit more painful than the labret, but then it's kinda expected.

There are a few possible complications with tongue piercings, but ask your piercer about them. There's so many urban myths going round about how having your tongue pierced can:

a) Make one side of your face go slack
    b) Rub all the enamel off your teeth and make them all fall out
    c) Make you lose the sense of taste

It's all largely bollocks. Ask the piercer - they're the experts (hopefully).
  • Options
    ^^Agreed.

Experienced piercers will be 100% fully trained in anatomy and physiology and will know by looking whether or not you are a suitable candidate for a tongue piercing.

There is a vein that runs down the centre of your tongue and depending on how central it is, this will tell you whether or not you should have it pierced. Any piercer that recommends you don't have it pierced, don't have it pierced. (Asking for a second opinion isn't recommended, as once someone has said no to a candidate, someone else will always say yes if there's money involved; these people are also known as Cowboys.)

The risks involved are mainly for the unlucky number that have the vein in an awkward place, and are strongly advised to not pierce. Ocassionally problems arise, but this is usually due to either a lack of the correct training, or a lack of background research the piercee has done.

Ilora x
  • Options
    the only common 'risk' of tongue piercings that is actually true is that they can chip your teeth.

i'm missing some of the edge of my front teeth, and chunks of my molars (the accidental bite down - ouch).

i'm not a fan of labrets, personally. they're in my nostril and eyebrow category. occasionally they really suit people, but most of the time i don't like them.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    the only common 'risk' of tongue piercings that is actually true is that they can chip your teeth.

True - I've slightly chipped a molar doing the 'bite down'. I just object to people banging on about how your teeth'll fall out if you get your tongue pierced.

Now where're me dentures?
  • Options
    ok.. i've made my mind up.. and the next one im getting is my labret, i will go to several peircers and ask if my tongue is suitible to be peirced, if the first one says no, ill leave it there if the first one says yes ill get a second opinion if he says yes too i'll concider it,

would my doctor be able to tell me if i can get it done or not?
  • Options
    I'm sure you'll look gawjuss.

:D
  • Options
    huh?
  • Options
    gaw-juss

gorgeous.

*sigh*

never mind.
  • Options
    aww thanks chem lab :flirt:
  • Options
    Doctors are a piercer's worst nightmare. Doctors, in fact anyone in the health profession will always advise against body mods. I wouldn't recommend asking a doctor, they'll just tell you not to get anything pierced or try and scare you out of it with stupid old wives tales. :rolleyes:

Ilora x
  • Options
    Hmmm.... ok thank you :) I just want to be 100% lsure i should be ok..
  • Options
    Doctors are a piercer's worst nightmare. Doctors, in fact anyone in the health profession will always advise against body mods. I wouldn't recommend asking a doctor, they'll just tell you not to get anything pierced or try and scare you out of it with stupid old wives tales. :rolleyes:

Ilora x

makes sense though, a doctor is supposed to promote the best health for patients therefore they will probably advise against piercings because its the best option in terms of health.
  • Options
    I see a doctor on a regular basis for an ongoing condition, and i asked him prior to getting my lip pierced (my first piercing all those years ago) and he actually supported it, gave me a few tips on the healing process that my piercer didnt infact....so....the whole medical establishment isnt against us pierced folks....just the majority. lol

Peace