Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Drugs inthe family

JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
I thought some of you might be interested in a report released by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation called Drugs in the family: the impact on parents and siblings.
They say -
This study highlights the severe and enduring impacts on families of
having one or son or daughter who is a problem drug user.
The tendency for policy and practice to focus on the individual with the drug problem has eclipsed consideration of the severe and enduring impacts of problem drug use on many families. The influence of a child's drug problem on any younger brothers or sisters has been overlooked, despite evidence that such siblings are at higher risk of developing drug problems themselves.

The Joseph Rowntree Foundation is one of the largest social policy research and development charities in the UK, and places great emphasis on disseminating the findings of its work and engaging with policy-makers and practitioners to develop better policies and practices. (Their words, not mine...)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its less clear with other drugs but it would seem that alcoholism does have a genetic link too, in that it runs in families even if they are split up and away from influence.

Thanks for posting this LadyJade, I've got a couple of things about cannabis I am reading at the moment, if they are any good I'll post them up.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Its less clear with other drugs but it would seem that alcoholism does have a genetic link too, in that it runs in families even if they are split up and away from influence.

i'd say that's true...my auntie was an alcoholic but she died and my da is one...i think my grandfather was one too...though i'm not too inclined to it myself
  • Options
    i'm surprised that such a respected organisation as the rowntree trust can be so behind the times with their information.

alcoholics anonymous and narcotics annonymous have recognised this for a very long time ...especialy the AA lot.
    ever heard of alanon?
    for the families of alcoholics?

problem drug/drink use impacts on the whole family in a myriad of ways.
  • Options
    Its hard to say whether its biological or cultural. My guess is that its both. Kids tend to mirror their parent's good and bad traits. I have a good friend who's dad drinks too much, and hes now starting to follow in his footsteps.
  • Options
    Deluxe wrote:
    Its hard to say whether its biological or cultural. My guess is that its both. Kids tend to mirror their parent's good and bad traits. I have a good friend who's dad drinks too much, and hes now starting to follow in his footsteps.
    i have seen this with my own eyes over four generations of people and many firends and loved ones.
    my fear was my kids would follow my early steps ...it seems i was was one hell of an act to follow and none of them fancied their chances.
    so what happens?
    my kids are all hard grafting and doing ok types ...they like a drink a toke like but ...not following in their fathers footsteps.
    if anything ...i've learned so much from them ...that i am probably follwing in theirs.
    when i first saw the joke sticker thingys ..."it's genetic ...i get it from my children" ...there was a huge element of truth with the humour there
  • Options
    Deluxe wrote:

Alcoholism does seem to be biological, even if you seperate kids from their parents they are still a lot more likely to be alcoholics.

Given that a lot of a drugs effect is based around body make up its not hugely surprising.

Low levels of dopamine in the brain may be a trait which could be passed on and lead the offspring to seek out self medication.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    i'm surprised that such a respected organisation as the rowntree trust can be so behind the times with their information.
    problem drug/drink use impacts on the whole family in a myriad of ways.
    I think the report is about what actually happens in a family with a problem drug user, not the fact that it happens in the first place. That then has an impact on what advice and support the family may be given as part of a users treatment and so on.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    I think the report is about what actually happens in a family with a problem drug user, .
    read some old alanon literature and you'll see what i mean.
    where you will discover the effects an alcoholic/addict has on the family as a whole.
    seriously ...very well covered ground already/