Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Creating own web page

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A friend of mine is starting up his own business soon and would like to create his own website, I dont really know much about it and nor does he, but does anyone know how to go about it and how much it costs, etc etc, any advise helpful!

ta

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would recomend hiring a professional to do the website in that case, try and find a company who will help run and maintain the site not just design a layout then lumber you with all the work.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You need web publishing software to create the webpages, and web hosting (which is where you store the actual files).

You'll probably (unless you've done it already) need to register the domain name - www.yourdomainnamehere.co.uk or whatever.

There's innumerable web hosting companies and so on. Other people'll probably give you their opinions, but here's my personal list of decent providers:

For buying your domain name: www.lcn.biz

For webhosting: www.1and1.co.uk (although these guys are more for full on professional hosting, and possibly a bit expensive for your friend's needs)

For web creation software: www.macromedia.com - they sell a package called DreamWeaver, which is generally considered to be the industry standard. It's (again) probably a bit expensive for your needs though.

All in all, I'd find a friend who can do it for you, and ask them. It's quite easy to be ripped off when it comes to web stuff, particularly with web 'designers' who're complete crap yet charge the earth.