Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Water in the ears

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all

OK this isn't about me...my b/f went surfing at the weekend (Sunday) and managed to get water in his ears. Ever since, he's been complaining that it's still there and that he can't hear properly and I was just wondering if there's anything he can do to improve this. I've suggested he go to the doctor but I think he feels like a bit of a wuss. It's been a few days now and I was sure that it would correct itself but it still seems to be a problem...anyone got any ideas?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Could be Swimmer's ear, this is when an infection sets in after water gets in the ear.

Unlikely it is still the water - does he have any pain esp when touching or laying on it?
    There is actually something for this called Swim Ear.

We usually keep one or two in a drawer in Boots. So make sure you ask for it, because for some reason they don't seem to put it out on the shelves.
    Swim ear doesn't clear the infection, merely removes or prevents the water entering [cant remember which one]
    "Ear water drying aid. Quickly dislodges trapped water from the ear canal."

She said he can't hear properly. It's not automatically an infection.
    it says clears trapped water on the description. :razz:
    I've had that happen before and its annoying! I normally succeed by jumping up and down shaking my head. Carefully cleaning out your ear can help too. However if the water is still in there after more than 4 or so days id recommend that at least you get some ear drops to stop a potential infection!
    I was just saying, because you said "There is something for this called Swim ear", and it was just after I posted about Swimmers Ear which is an infection and you need antibiotic.

But if you want to waste money on this then go ahead, vfew drops of vinegar should do the job nicely..... :thumb: